Digital Economy Bill critisesed by ISPs again, government don't care

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by 0dev, Jul 8, 2010.

1. macrumors 68040

0dev

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/10542400.stm

2. macrumors 601

Schtumple

I'm surprised no one else has commented on this, the DEB really does need some review, wasn't one of the parts mentioned that all ISPs must keep data on every users website visits and file download details... Crazy amount of logging to press onto ISPs at such short notice.

3. thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

ISPs already do that, they keep logs on all your net activity for a year. But the DEA also says things like ISPs have to block certain sites that allow you to access copyrighted content... Google lets you access copyrighted content FFS.

However, the act only applies to large ISPs with over 400,000 customers, so some ISPs might divide themselves into smaller companies just to avoid paying the costs of implementing the DEA, and pirate ISPs, which already exist, will grow and more will start.

4. macrumors P6

dukebound85

The don't in the title is really bugging me. Anyone else?

5. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Yeah it bugged me a little bit too.

Ahhh fair enough, wasn't the bill also saying it needs to keep a log forever too though?

To be honest, there's a fair few ISPs with over 400,000 customers. Virgin, BT and Orange cover a huge market... That's a lot of peoples information to keep, and it's a little worrying what one person could do.

6. macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

In American English, verb agreement treats collective nouns as singular.
    In British English, verb agreement treats collective nouns as plural.

7. thread starter macrumors 68040

0dev

Not too sure on that one. I don't think it'd be technically possible to store history on millions of internet users without ever clearing it out after a certain length of time, but considering how stupid the DEA is, I wouldn't be surprised if they did try enforcing that TBH.

Indeed, but if you want out it's easy enough to switch to a smaller ISP.

8. macrumors 601

Schtumple

That's what I was getting at, they simply aren't aware how difficult it would be for an ISP to store all information forever, it's far too much to ask.