Digital Hub for Kitchens?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Sol, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Sol macrumors 68000

Jan 14, 2003
    Should Microwaves become part of the Digital Hub? What about fridges and toasters? I think that with technologies like USB, FireWire Bluetooth and AirPort in is now possible to control all the electrical devices in out homes through the computer.

The problem is that there is no incentive to do this yet. I mean toasters do not require much operation; just insert the bread slice, select the time and pull the switch to start heating. Maybe a computer could keep a log of all the bread you have toasted and automatically shut down the toaster if it malfunctions.

With microwaves I see a lot more potential: let the computer know what it is you intend to heat and it could configure the optimal settings for the microwave. Right now microwaves are too much hit and miss for my liking. Same with ovens.

Last but not least, I see the greatest potential with the fridge. These giants of the kitchen have room for an all-in-one computer to be included in them, complete with wireless base-stations and ports for FireWire and USB (toasters, microwaves and water-boilers could draw power from these, making them more energy efficient). The obvious use for an all-in-one computer on your fridge would be so that you could view recipies but you could also use it for all your communications while you are in the kitchen. It could do video-conferencing for example.
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    I think we're going to see phones and cars brought into the digital age much sooner. VOIP is already a reality. Cars could automatically alert us when they need servicing. Your phone could automatically convert voicemails to e-mails (or vice versa). iTunes could sync with your car stereo.

The first thing to be digitally hubbed in the kitchen will be your grocery receipts. Maybe there'll be some way to scan a receipt into your computer for easy kitchen inventories, or you could just download your purchases from the grocery store.
  3. echeck macrumors 68000

Apr 20, 2004
    Boise, Idaho
    This can already be done in some areas. I can order my groceries online and have them either delivered or wating for me when I arrive. Of course I have no incentive to do this as I live about four blocks away from the store, but I know of some other people that do it. It doesn't add too much to your bill either, rather reasonable if you think about it.

And, from what I understand, you keep a log of purchased items in "My Account".
  4. B. McKechnie macrumors member

Aug 11, 2004
    Toronto, Ontatio, Canada
  5. bella macrumors member

May 5, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    I think its cool that BMW already has their cars wired to hook up with ipods and you can control them with the buttons on the steering wheel. :cool:
  6. ejb190 macrumors 65816

I am still waiting for a microwave with an IR Thermometer to tell when the food is done or when to alter the cooking settings (like defrost). Something like this might need to be linked into a database of cooking times and temperatures...
  7. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    My microwave has a "sensor" feature that's supposed to do that, but for just a few foods. Works pretty well for popcorn, not so good for coffee (unless you like it scalding).
  8. stubeeef macrumors 68030

Aug 10, 2004
    Try this micro-wave, I have it, ya it does it all, but the menu's will drive ya nuts. and choose Model #: JVM2070SH

For a fridg goto and look at model GR-G267ATBA it is almost here! :)

oooppps should have read all the threads-soory