digital picture frame

Discussion in 'Community' started by scmacdaddy, Nov 25, 2003.

1. scmacdaddy macrumors regular

Dec 4, 2002
    i was thinking about buying a digital picture frame for my mom for her to show off her pictures from her new cam. however, they go for about $300 right now and that's way out of my college student price range. So i thought about trying to hook up an old pentium 1 i have lying around to a used lcd screen i would buy off ebay. i figure if i hide the desktop and the cable and build a wooden frame around the lcd to make it look like a real frame it would be a pretty sweet. however, i've read that trying to hook up notebook lcds to a desktop is a pain, so i was curious if anyone had done this and could post some info before i buy the lcd, or if there were any other ideas about displaying digital pictures. any help would be much appreciated.
  2. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

May 15, 2003
    San Francisco
    I wouldn't try hooking up a laptop screen to a desktop. Laptop screens use direct digital input, which most desktops lack. You'd need a video card with DVI output (by this point, it'd be cheaper to get the digital picture frame), and even then, you'd need to figure out a way to splice the DVI cable from the computer into the input board on the screen. Or, you could get a converter box to convert the VGA output of the computer to digital signals (again, it'd be cheaper to get the digital picture frame). Also, a P1 is going to be extremely loud. Having it on just to display a picture would seem very inconvenient.

In a nutshell, either cough up the cash for the digital picture frame, or decide on another gift.
  3. 5300cs macrumors 68000

Nov 24, 2002
    #3 has a hacks section, and a guy used a taken-apart Duo to make a really nice picture frame.

linkies: The first one. This is a more detailed FAQ about making a picture frame.

I haven't done this myself; I happen to be a fan of the Duo series (have a 280c) and seeing one ripped apart is a little traumatic for me :p
    Anyway, in case you decide to go for it, hope this helps.