Digital TV transition wont be delayed

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Mattzane15, Jan 28, 2009.

1. macrumors member

2. macrumors 601

Tilpots

3. macrumors 65816

zombitronic

About 6.5 million people, or about 5%, are not DTV ready. I don't understand the desire for a delay while the other 95% are ready.

I'm not even sure how accurate these numbers are. I've got my coupons but I haven't picked up a box yet. My main TV, however, has a DTV tuner. So am I included in the "not ready" crowd? Out of those 6.5 million people, I'm guessing a couple million are just procrastinators, like me.

Here's what I think will happen. The day it happens, journalists all over the country will get to write fluff pieces about how "Local idiot wakes up to snow... on his TV!" This day will be a record sale day for DTV boxes. About a week into the transition, most people will have their boxes and this news will be a thing of the past.

Here's what would happen if they delayed it by four months. The same thing.

4. macrumors 6502a

MacNoobie

Lmfao who in this day and age ISN'T ready for DTV its 2009 for christs sake! people NEED to get with the program (no pun intended) and upgrade.

If an entire society was left at the pace that these people are going at for upgrading then we'd all still be in the stone ages still.

5. macrumors G4

It's not that big of a deal. So what if the TV stops working. Most people would be better off without it. It's not like they are turning off heat or water.

My gues is that the people who need these boxes and don't already have them will not fully understand what's up untill the TVs go blank. Even then most of these guys will figure their set is broken and that they have to replace it. And "sure enough" they will be right. They will make the transition and still never understand.

6. macrumors newbie

amen to that

7. macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

[​IMG] from the Stone Age.

Ours doesn't "kick-in" until 2011. :(

8. macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I wish they would just make the switch already and shut up about it. People lived without TV for billions of years, they can wait a few days until the cable guy hooks up their new service.

9. Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Hooray! Four less months hearing about the "upcoming switch to digital"!

10. macrumors 601

Schtumple

Our switch over is this year or 2012, either way, people have known about the switch over for what, 5 years now? At home we've already been through 2 set top boxes just waiting for the switch over to happen! Anyone that hasn't got the new box has had plenty of time to get around to this...

11. macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

12. macrumors 604

gkarris