Digital Video System

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by junny, Jan 9, 2004.

1. junny macrumors newbie

Hey everyone!

I've been cruising around a few of the online forums for macs over the last couple of months. I can't really seem to find the exact answer I'm after and I've made my decision to post it here!!

Basically, I'm coming into the Mac world for the purpose of video editing. I will definately get FC express and I'll also want to run Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Director, maybe Flash and possibly After Effects. (not all at the same time!)

I am by no means a pro, and won't be able to afford a pro's system. I am however keen to get a response on the differences between the following systems from a user/video editing point of view.

The systems I have in mind are:

1. I've been told that the top emac will do my bidding, I havn't really looked into that one much as I'm not a fan of the height of the screen (I always end up leaning heavily on the desk when I've used them at University as they sit so low!)

2. iMac 20" - 512 internal RAM, will purchase 512 for upgradable a few months later.

3. Dual G4 (any advice on this one would be good)

My budget is $5000 (Australian) and it also has to include a Firewire external HD and 20gb iPod.

I guess I'm looking for something that will run all of those programs, will not need to be upgraded over the next 3 years at least and will be value for money and still powerful.

I think I might be asking a bit much, any kind of suggestions anyone has I would more than appreciate them. I'm the only person in my world that will have a Mac and so I don't know anyone else to ask!

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Re: Digital Video System

You're not a pro, but you want to buy a machine to run $2000 - $3000 (USD) worth of pro apps on? ;)

I would buy a dual pro G4 Tower since you are sticking to G4 land. Oh, and you can get a stand for the eMac so that it will tilt up and down ($50 USD IIRC).

Lethal

3. junny thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey Lethal!

Okay, so the Imac doesn't rate?

Are the G4s hard to upgrade ram etc yourself?

4. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

actually the easiest of the 3. there is a little tab that you pull on the side, the entire side panel lowers down, and you just pop the RAM in. no screws, or anything. the most time consuming part is probably opening the package the RAM is in.

easy opening is one of my favorite features of powermacs.

i'd probably go powermac too, more upgradable for the future, and you can get a larger display later on if you can afford one.

paul

5. macer1 macrumors newbie

my 867 does me fine :)

the powermac line is a great investment :)

6. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

I Run Final Cut Pro, Photoshop, Dreamweaver, Illustrator just fine on a G4 400 MHZ with 834 MB ram Powermac (4 year old system), and the only thing i would complain about is that i wish i had a bigger or second monitor. Remember that your computer won't make you a better editor ... only your knowledge and experience will do that ...

I recommend going with the Dual G4 system because your getting the dual processors and it's very expandable should you need more ram (very easy to install) and if you need PCI expansion. I recommend setting yourself with a nice Dual CRT display as well ... you may be tempted to get a a nice flat screen display ... but for the price of one you can get two nice CRTS ... and in editing you need all the screen you can get

7. junny thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay, so the G4 is the way to go, but what does it mean when the mac online store is telling me:

Mac OS X or Mac OS 9 boot capabilities??

Does that mean both OS? or is there the option of just one?

I thought X was better/more stable?

revenuee - I know it's not the machine that makes the editor, I just don't want to freak over slow machines, and I don't want to pay a load more money in the near future because the software won't run. Pitty some of the guys I did my course with wouldn't accept that ;)

I'll look into the dual monitor setup. Not sure of desk sizes and how much I'll need to move the system around over the next year.

Start with the basics, pay the loan, get the extras.

8. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    x is more stable, but 9 bootability lets you run apps that dont run on x, but since you don't seem to need that, it wont really matter, it also means if in the future u want to use 9 u can, so basically u can load 2 os on ur machine.

i say go for the dual g4 1.25 mdd

9. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

As an editor i can't think of to much software that you might need to run in OS 9, that you can't run better on 10 generally speaking my OS 9 software i run in Classic,

As far as the speed concern ... don't get me wrong, i wouldn't mind a faster machine so that i could take advantage of the RT Extreme, currently my machine is to slow to be able to do this.

Portability is a concern for me ... being content with the speed of my machine, i'm very patiently waiting the arrival of the Powerbook G5 ... as a DV editor i'm sure i can get away with editing on a laptop.

10. junny thread starter macrumors newbie

Right-o!

Well! I'll have a bit more of a think, generate the cash and will keep popping back in for advice over the couple of months.

Thanks guys you've really helped answer most of the questions I have. I was kinda leaning the iMac way, but the G4 dual pros has shone through and shown me the way!!

Jen