digital video

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by mnkeybsness, Jul 26, 2002.

1. mnkeybsness macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    does anyone know of who makes AV to firewire converters for macs? i know sony used to but i am unable to find it on your help is appreciated
  2. menoinjun macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2001
    Dazzle has the Hollywood DV bridge. It costs a whopping $300, but it has firewire in and outs, svideo, and composite ins and outs. Runs off firewire.

Nice unit.

3. mnkeybsness thread starter macrumors 68030

Jun 25, 2001
    Moneyapolis, Minnesota
    i thought i was reading that it was only for windows
  4. SPG macrumors 65816

Jul 24, 2001
    In the shadow of the Space Needle.
    Although not nearly as good as it used to be, is still a resource for DV questions. Someone there will have already used all the bridges. I'd chime in but I've always had a deck or camera connected...ya know there are DV cameras with analog in that will act as a bridge.
  5. dotcomlarry macrumors regular

Jul 16, 2002
    Akron, PA
    Formac makes the Studio converter. I use it at my work, and it's a pretty good machine.
  6. bunton macrumors member

Jul 16, 2002
    Chicago, Illinois
    I am pretty sure Steve Jobs has a wire about the size of a cable cord

yeah and it is the converter in the wire and itt is faster than fire wire two but it aint being revealed till MAc world comes to chicago

Hey how is that for starting a rumor!!!
  7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    To my knowledge Sony discontinued the converter. I've used a dazzle with a mac at school. The only thing is there are about 3 different dazzles make sure you get the Hollywood Bridge i think there might be 2 firewire versions 1 is lower quality then the others. I've used the sony and it's great but unfortunately they are hard to find now. E-bay maybe. The Dazzle gets stuck every now and then and sometimes its a headache but it works and does it's job. I'd like to get my hands on a formac just because it has a built in TV tuner and i think it's got some better converters or something not sure. There is even one that doubles as a firewire disk
  8. robodweeb macrumors member

Jan 2, 2002
    Formac Studio

Formac Studio ( connects to your Mac via Firewire and has AV (composite), s-video, coaxial, etc. ports. Though the OS X software isn't yet up to par with its OS 9 software, I've been able to go both ways: analog-to-digital and digital-to-analog ...
  9. mymemory macrumors 68020

May 9, 2001
    Go to the advc 100 (if I'm right) is the competitor of the Hollywood Bridge, it cost the same and correct some sync problems the Hollywood Bridge has when capturing from VHS.

The pros of the Canopus:
    1. It sync better.
    2. Doesn't fall of your desk top.
    3. Better than the sony device (I haven't try them).
    1. External power suply
    2. No as fancy.

Hollywood bridge pros:
    1. It is fancy.
    2. I guess powered by the firewire.
    1. Not reliable, there should be a revision these months.
    2. If fall on one side with the cables (that is what I have heard).

In my case, I like the hollywood Bridge better but I have learn to buy usefull things better than pretty looking.
  10. daveg5 macrumors 6502a

Nov 28, 2001
    Directors cut sells the Migilia Directors cut analouge to firewire adapter
  11. Pepzhez macrumors regular

Jan 23, 2002
    Please DO NOT BUY the Dazzle Hollywood Bridge! I made the unfortunate mistake of doing so and it is the worst purchase I ever made. The thing often loses vertical sync, sound distortions occur frequently and unexpectedly - in other words, a complete piece of unreliable garbage.

And, no, it wasn't a dud model either. I casn't tell you how many forums I've been to where all of the poor Dazzle dupes like me gathered to lick our wounds.

If you want the worst customer service and support you'll ever see, deal with Dazzle. They took no phone calls, actively discouraged any email inquiries and offered only a message board (in which no Dazzle representative even responded to). Now get this - once the message board was packed full of endless complaints, Dazzle simply deleted the thing and stopped hosting it.

I finally stopped using this thing but still have it stuck in a drawer. I thought of selling it on eBay, but would feel horrible sticking someone with it, even if they only paid $10 for it.

The Formac (which I use now) is a great choice. It actually works, for one thing ...
  12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Oct 5, 2001
    San Diego, CA
    I agree with Pepzhez (amazing, eh, Pep' ;) ).

We have a unit at work since some of our staff wanted something cheap and easy that works with PCs.

The units feel cheap (lightweight, hollow feeling).

The bundled software is pretty worthless. Configuration and editing is difficult, if not impossible.

That said, it does give you quick compressed digital video captures...but you have almost no control over the process.
  13. Liamcow macrumors member

Jun 16, 2002
    Hyannis, MA
    dazzle sucks, that's it, case closed, i used the dazzle on my old computer, i made the mistake of trying to import a long DVD, the thing fried my computer (sort of) it just never worked right agan, that's why i have my new powermac:D