Digitally scanned hi-res Apollo 11 photos released

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Jul 21, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

http://www.apolloarchive.com/

Also if you have any interest in the Moon, then I suggest you purchase a copy of 'Full Moon', a quite stunning book of photos of the lunar journeys. The quality is quite, quite amazing! ;)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos...3844/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_10_1/026-7789772-8571654

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

These pics are FREE!?!?!?

Wow, now this is truly great - thanks for the link iGav!

D

*WARNING* If anyone starts talking about the Moon Landing Hoax there will be consequences and repercussions. Take that discussion off to any of the many threads already on the subject.

Thank you for playing nice in advance.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Amazing! It's nice seeing things like the other shots in the Earthrise sequence.

For those who haven't visited the site yet: it takes a few seconds (on broadband, so dialup will take even longer) to begin to show the "big" picture when you click on the thumbnail (well, the smaller one - it's bigger than a traditional thumbnail). So, don't think Safari doesn't work properly (like I did at first) - the image will begin to show up after a few seconds.

Maybe the site is just under load now and will be faster later. No big deal in any event - well worth going!

4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

A pleasure as always. :)

Have you got the 'Full Moon' book?? really is rather good! ;) print quality is stunning for a book.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

No - but I have another that is the Earth from space - its in a box right now, we're moving and the furniture arrives tomorrow...

D

6. crap freakboy macrumors 6502a

crap freakboy

I'd second buying the Full Moon book, nice quality prints...
    but did they really go to the moon? (had to throw that in) ;)

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Absolutely amazing... too bad the resolution of the images on the site isnt a little higher. If you could purchase the pictures at say 1600x1200, I would do it in a flash.

8. raynegus macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. This will keep me busy for a while.

9. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

friends of mine were at the ceremony last night that nasa had at the air and space measeum in dc. (they work for nasa, ba$tard$... im so jealous) they got to meet all the astronauts and walter cronkite and such... though, since they work there, it wasnt *such* a big deal to them...

anyhow- they brought me back a bunch of the posters and pins that they were handing out- very cool stuff

10. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Thank you iGav for the link. That picture of seeing the Earth is really awesome. It really puts everything into perspective. I still remember watching all of it live on TV with my family. It was so surrealistic. Made Americans very proud. Getting to see the Moon landing equipment in person at Cape Canaveral, FL is a trip well worth your time.

11. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Stuff like this is so cool, I really wish we could have an experience like this in our lifetime, like humans landing on mars, hopefully it can be done in our lifetime:) I love the moon;)

12. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    photos are great!!! i wish i could double freeze my film!!!

13. kettle macrumors 65816

kettle

Fankyou very much, iGav, man with gorrilla head.

This must mean they really got there then, I had my doubts at first, but if these are being given away for free then I'm back on board.

;)

14. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

The web site is not working for me this morning. I'm using Safari. Does it work for anyone else?

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It comes and goes. I almost posted the same thing, then it showed up for me. It definitely works with Safari, but seems to be pretty busy.

Edit: I take that back; it seems to be weird now - first I get a 404 Error but see a NASA sidebar, then I see weird things upon refresh. Perhaps it's undergoing change?

16. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

I had trouble the last two times, but this time it began working for me.

Some of the new shots are great. And old (previously available) ones too.

Even one named "inadvertent shutter release" wasn't that bad!

[​IMG]

17. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

this was posted on slashdot earlier today, so it probably got completely overloaded.

18. Viv macrumors regular

So the anticonspiricy conspiricy people got to you too did they?

Viv

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Pretty disappointing that a message in support of the images, but supporting the "alternative" view was deleted.

There are those of us that watched 35 years ago in awe. I even as a youth supported the "Space Bonds" with my money. It is because of history that we have to question.

Yet, it does not diminish the impact of the these photos. It does bring back fond memories.

Nor does it demean the value of the signatures of the Apollo 11 astronaut that my Dad got when the arrived in DC for a visit with the president.

It is a matter of faith. Faith in man and his ability to accomplish what is hard.

May we see more images that show in one way or another the ability of man.

20. KingSleaze macrumors 6502

I am certain it happened. My dad worked for Grumman. I got a tour of the LM construction line. Got into the LM for Apollo 17. Watched the Apollo 11 liftoff, without benefit of a TV in the way.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Maybe it is off-topic, but with the Hubble an its hi-res images; would t not be possible to look at the Sea of Tranquility and see the landing site?

22. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, I guess my post must have hit a nerve! I actually posted a couple links to Moon Landing Hoax sites which were obviously (much to my surprise) removed from this thread, but it was all in good fun - I personally don't have an opinion on the matter, and actually don't even support nor oppose the hoax theory. And as I had stated in my post, I did it just to "play devil's advocate" to inspire some additional interesting discussions in this thread.

If Mr. Anderson would like this discussion to be one-sided though and focused solely on the pictures, (even though my post was technically about the pictures), I completely respect that since he is the Moderator, and I apologize for the links - I was just trying to add a different perspective and point of view to the discussion which I thought members here would appreciate and discuss accordingly. I did not realize there were already discussion threads on this topic, so once again, I offer my apologies if they are indeed required. :eek:

23. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I also find it odd that the post with the link to the site which supported the landings and explained the science behind the pictures was also removed. It added a great deal of science to the photos and actually made many of them more interesting to me. Perhaps, at first glance, it seemed like a conspiracy site, whereas actually it was a site with a fair amount of apparent support from NASA itself.

Oh well.

24. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

The cameras aren't really made for capturing objects that close, but photos of some larger features have been released.
    http://hubblesite.org/newscenter/newsdesk/archive/releases/1999/14/

25. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Awesome! Nice one iGav. That kept me entertained for a while. I did note one slightly funny photo though. Check out this photo of one of the key NASA personnel during the launch of Apollo 11.......note his name tag and then wonder at how inappropriate that hand gesture of his is..... :D

Attached Files:

• 22.jpg
      22.jpg
      File size:
      96.3 KB
      Views: