Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
UPDATED

Well as you may know I had some issues returning an item. After seeing this thread and a few bad reviews I did on some sites, DigitalRev have refunded me my postage cost.

Overall, the service from DigitalRev was very good in terms of purchasing the item (2 days delivery from Hong Kong to the UK). I think I was just unlucky and there was a misunderstanding.

Last edited:

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
This is what I was afraid of so I purchased a grey import already in the UK at a slight premium with 3 years warranty but it's to a service centre here in the UK.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
This is what I was afraid of so I purchased a grey import already in the UK at a slight premium with 3 years warranty but it's to a service centre here in the UK.

Well we all live and learn - at least I got my money back for the camera itself. Definately think buying grey but from uk sources in the way to go.

Chuck-Norris

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
dumb question but what is a grey market when buying cameras from?

also, digitalrev, def does not seem the best place to buy (i liek to buy locallylike at best buy or henrys, or b&h)

but digital rev makes nice youtube video reviews lol

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
dumb question but what is a grey market when buying cameras from?

A grey import is a camera that is being sold by an unofficial retailer and was purchased in another country at a discount in order to make a profit when sold.

There are plenty of examples on eBay.

LongSticks

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2012
Kent, UK
Who did you use?

Ace - I've looked at DigitalRev before with trepidation! This conforms it!

Who did you use? PM me if you don't want to make it public.

Want to go full frame this year....without braking the bank!

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Well I used a retailer called Pixel_deals on eBay.

I have since noticed they have raised the price of their 6D body only by £100 so I was lucky to get it whilst I did.

They are currently selling it with free delivery and 3 year warranty at £1499 and Amazon new is £1699 so there still is some saving to be made.

AT06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Well I used a retailer called Pixel_deals on eBay.

I have since noticed they have raised the price of their 6D body only by £100 so I was lucky to get it whilst I did.

They are currently selling it with free delivery and 3 year warranty at £1499 and Amazon new is £1699 so there still is some saving to be made.

My new favourite UK shop is DigitalDepot. They are an actual shop (not just online) and offer genuine UK stock with a 1 year canon warranty and their own 2 year warranty. You can pick up a 6D body for £1499 and there is £100 cashback (if only I could afford it, but I really am only a beginner and don't need to spend that kind of money, yet)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
My new favourite UK shop is DigitalDepot. They are an actual shop (not just online) and offer genuine UK stock with a 1 year canon warranty and their own 2 year warranty. You can pick up a 6D body for £1499 and there is £100 cashback (if only I could afford it, but I really am only a beginner and don't need to spend that kind of money, yet)

Are they an actual shop? Looks like it might just be an office (which is no bad thing). Also technically they don't offer their own 2 year warranty just a year on top of the 1 year that Canon provides if that makes sense!

P.s. good to hear about your refunded postage!

AT06

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 30, 2012
Winwick, UK
Are they an actual shop? Looks like it might just be an office (which is no bad thing). Also technically they don't offer their own 2 year warranty just a year on top of the 1 year that Canon provides if that makes sense!

P.s. good to hear about your refunded postage!

Yeah they are an actual shop located in Stevenage. If you go on their website (digitaldepot.co.uk) and scroll to the very bottom and click visit us, it shows you a map where you can click the little man symbol to view it on street view.

They are really well reviewed, and have a 2013 Gold Service Award from WhatDigitalCamera. Also the cheapest official UK retailers on quite a few things. The 6D for £1499 and £100 cashback is a great price right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.