Dilemma: Are Quadra 840AVs completely redundant now?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Spacemoth, Oct 30, 2004.

1. Spacemoth macrumors newbie

Hi everyone. I happened across this site whilst doing a google search for any possible outlets concerning trading old Macintosh computers and hardware.

I have had an old Macintosh Quadra 840AV for a number of years now - as I do also an even older Quadra 700. Both have their towers and their monitors (the 700 has a 21" b/w monitor) whilst the 840AV has the standard (odd-shaped) monitor with the extra inputs for video and stereo speakers.

Only problem is, I have no more use for these since I acquired an iMac 700 Mhz G3 a few years ago, so they are basically gathering dust in my living room and I cannot seem to get shut of them. I am not sure if a collector's market exists anymore for old comps like these - mine (both machines were bought from my old place of work [local government publicity design unit] many years ago when they replaced their publishing equipment) also have the associated paraphernalia such as 100MB Zip drive (SCSI - not USB), 44MB Syquest drive and disks, scanner, DAT back up, etc.... truly a package that would do any computer museum proud, as you can see.

How much - if anything - are these old models worth these days? Is there anywhere where I can offload these other than the nearest skip? Or do any collectors still wish to pay money for these old models? I know there are some people who collect old Macintoshs, but I am just trying here to see what others reckon.....

2. brap macrumors 68000

There is always someone who'll want what you've got. Ebay it, give it a starting price of say, £9.99+p&p, you can't lose. Hell, if I was in Manchester I'd buy it (to sit next to my RISC PC)... but then I like old s**t like that :)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Sadly, the market for this kind of equipment is far from collectible... there's too many of them floating around, and Quadras aren't really that old in the grand scheme of things. But you have a good sentimentality piece there, and could probably find a buyer that remembers drooling over it... I remember wanting an 840AV myself.

paul

4. Spacemoth thread starter macrumors newbie

In any case, I have no time for sentimentality cos I am lumbered with two old machines which are taking up space (I seriously need to de-clutter my house if I am to have any chance of moving as it is!! :) ). I have pondered various options as to how to shift it - but E-baying would be a problem unless the winning bidder would collect it in person!

You mention a friend who collects old Macs - what would he be willing to pay for such a comp then, just out of interest?

The only other options would be to donate both to schools or educational establishments but then most of the probably prefer PC/ Windows systems anyway so that probably limits my options anyway. Either way, I wouldn't stand to make anything from them anyway - I have a feeling that both machines are complete negative equity now anyways....

5. sigamy macrumors 65816

http://www.lowendmac.com has a Swap email list. You'll need to register for the list by sending an email. Once you are on the list you can post a For Sale message listing the equipment and your asking price and if you'll ship or not.

This is Low End Mac so there are a lot of people interested in the older hardware. That being said, CRT iMacs and beige G3s are now considered "low end".

6. Spacemoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that pointer - I will give that site a browse..... but if anyone here of course has any intention of collecting and would like a couple of old Quadras to add to their retinue, then by all means put something in here.

:)

7. terraform macrumors newbie

840 AV

Wow! I remember buying a Quadra Tiger 840AV new for 1200.00. I guess they are worth negative money these days? The only Macs that come to mind that are very collectable are the Black TV Mac and the 20th anniversary Mac.

8. Spacemoth thread starter macrumors newbie

Blimey, I forgot all about this thread......I just thought I'd try again to see if any other folks here can suggest (within the UK) where I might be able to find out if someone is interested in collecting old obsolete Mac models.

Any newcomers out there who may know of somewhere?

;)