Dilemma, G5 or Core Duo

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by RedDragon870503, Oct 12, 2006.

  1. macrumors 6502

    RedDragon870503

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #1
    Okay, so I buy a 20 inch core duo on eBay for 1121. A pretty descent deal. The ad is plastered with Core Duo everywhere. I get it, the thing is stunning (a big step up from my MDD with a 17in screen) Turn it on, boot it up... check the system profiler to smile at my Core Duo processor but NO!!! IT IS A G5!!!!! What the heck, so here is the dilemma. I offered the seller an option to give me 300 bucks to keep the machine which would be a loaded G5 for 850 bucks (I sold my MDD for 800!)... or I would leave negative feedback, ship it back and force him to pay for shipping both ways.

    Would it be in my best interest to keep the machine for a while; afterall it is a HUGE step up from the MDD, as I do not need the power of the Core Duo, yet.... Not a gamer; just a CS2 lover... And then sell it and buy a Core 2 Duo when the prices come down?
     
  2. macrumors 65816

    MIDI_EVIL

    Joined:
    Jan 23, 2006
    Location:
    UK
    #2
    No, don't keep it. You were mis-sold/conned.

    It might be a big step up from the G4 MDD, but the Core Duo is a BIGGER step up from the G5.

    Do the right thing, get all of your money back if you can, and go elsewhere.

    Rich.
     
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

    RedDragon870503

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #3
    Yes but...

    Look at the opportunity I have... 50 bucks to upgrade from a MDD to a Loaded G5 iMac. What about taking the 300 and then turning around and selling the iMac for a profit THEN buying a Core Duo?
     
  4. macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #4
    Hmm, tough decision. You seem to have had your heart set on an iMac with a Core Duo processor, I would not settle for anything less.

    And if the guy was dishonest about what type of iMac it was, do you think that he was forthcoming about any problems the machine might have (or had). :eek:


    iMac G5s are fine computers to be sure, but I would go for a Core Duo/Core 2 Duo based iMac if I was you. :)
     
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

    RedDragon870503

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2006
    #5
    I actually just think the guy is an idiot... not really a sneaky guy. Just dumb. Though appearances can be deceiving the unit is flawless and everything seems to work fantastic. Is 850 a good price to pay for a loaded G5... (iSight 2.1ghz?)
     
  6. macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #6

    Seems like a good price to me. But are you going to be happy with it? :)
     
  7. macrumors 68000

    4JNA

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2006
    Location:
    looking for trash files
    #7
    tough call. i would take the G5 for $850, as that seems a good deal. you could use it and save money until the 'waiting for...' gets released, and then buy the newer system. the imac is a super computer, will kick the crap out of the MDD you just sold, and i see no reason to spend money on a system that won't run the software you plan to use as fast.

    just me though. and yeah, dumb not sneaky is a tough sector to deal with...:(
     
  8. macrumors 6502

    vi2867

    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2006
    Location:
    Eastvale, CA
    #8
    I would definately send it back...

    I would definately send it back if possible, and get a full refund and hopefully shipping, too.

    I sell on ebay, and it just upsets me to see people mis-lead customers, when they are selling on eBay. Hopefully, you paid a with credit card this way you can do a charge back if you run into problems with the seller.
     
  9. macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #9
    If I was you, I'd do what you did, ask for the money back, but you could send it back if you wish purely because the PPC models will start to loose their value after CS3 comes out.

    However, the G5 is a great computer. And you got an AMAZING price for it. £458 is cheaper than what I paid for my 17" (£495)
     
  10. macrumors 68040

    plinden

    Joined:
    Apr 8, 2004
    #10
    Keep the machine, take the $300 and post a negative comment detailing what happened. Anyone who misrepresents a sale deserves a negative comment, no matter how satisfied you are with the outcome.
     
  11. macrumors 65816

    ziwi

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    Location:
    Right back where I started...
    #11
    Send it back - he misrepresented the product. Slam his feedback. That is my first thought.

    Getting the iMac G5 for the $850 is also a nice deal, but once again if he was misrepresenting a product he sold on Ebay - what else is he no telling you?
     
  12. macrumors G4

    Eraserhead

    Joined:
    Nov 3, 2005
    Location:
    UK
    #12

    I would recommend the same, pay by credit card as Paypal sucks so much...
     

Share This Page