Dilemma: Tax Free Aug 4-6, WWDC Aug 7

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bill Gates, Jul 17, 2006.

1. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

I'm not sure what I should do. NC's tax free weekend is the 4th through the 6th, yet WWDC begins on the 7th. I'm in the market for a MacBook Pro but I would be upset if I were to buy it on the 4th if a new revision is announced on the 7th. I need a computer for college, which begins on the 18th, but there are computers available in the library. Should I buy on the 4th saving a few dollars or should I stick it out and wait for Merom?

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

I'd wait till the 7th, or till the MBP is updated, if you feel like it. Tax-free saves you 1 to 2 hundred dollars, but updated MBPs are worth that, especially if there's a new processor like Merom.

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Would it be possible to buy it during the tax free weekend, not open the MBP until after the 7th, and go do an even trade if there is an update on the 7th? I don't know if they would then charge you the difference that the taxes made up or what though, so I don't know.

4. DMPDX macrumors 6502

Buy what you want ont he tax free day/s. DO NOT OPEN WHAT YOU BOUGHT. Then after WWDC, if something is released, take the computer back for a full refund, and place an order for the new model, or open the computer you bought on the tax free day. Sounds good to me.
    -dsm

EDIT: Did not see the post above me :(

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Well if a new update was made on August 7th, and you ordered your computer on the 6th or 7th, you'd get the new model anyway. They'd ship you your computer after the 8th for sure. This is how Apple has worked in the past. They will not ship you a 2 GHz MBP if the new models are 2.16 GHz and 2.33 GHz or whatever.

6. brisully macrumors member

Does the tax free work on gift cards? What if you bought enough to make a purchase, then went back the next day?

7. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

I agree, wait until after WWDC. :)

You could also do this- I am pretty sure that Apple will only charge a fee for an exchange/return if you open the box. So as long as you keep the box sealed, you should be okay :)

8. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

You don't pay tax on gift cards anyways. Tax is assigned when you use the gift cards to purchase real equipment.

10. Lorelai macrumors member

How much is your tax rate? I would wait just in case there is an update. :)

11. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

yep, this is the way to go.

12. Bill Gates thread starter macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The only thing that may complicate this further is that I'll be purchasing the laptop in one of two ways: Either A) I'll be getting a friends and family discount thanks to a friend of mine, or B) I'll purchase it online through the ADC program. If Apple announces an update on the 7th, won't they still continue to ship out the old models until Merom is ready? (Presumably late August/Early September)

13. lcseds macrumors 6502a

State and local tax adds up to 7% in NC. That is a significant savings for something like a MBP. Less so for a pair of jeans. I will be purchasing a Macbook that weekend. Although I will keep it "unopened" for returns sake, I don't anticipate any announcement on the MB that will warrant a return.
    Also, Apple has extended the $100 printer rebate through October. That, coupled with the $179 rebate for iPod for edu, as well as the edu discount and no sales tax makes it a VERY good time to buy. So, for $1150 or so, I get a 1.83 Macbook, a 30GB iPod and a Canon ip4200 printer. What's not to like. :)

Also, the sales tax break is for Computers themselves (plus schhol supplies and clothing), no giftcards, iPods, stereos, televisions, etc.