Dilemma with delivery of 15"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Lurker, Nov 4, 2003.

  1. Lurker macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    #1
    Hey there Mac-ers

    Need your advice. I'm a newbie Mac user. Actually have yet to receive my first Mac, a Pb 15".

    I'm at a crossroads, and I'm a bit miffed.

    I decided to make use of the promotional Powerbook/IPOD tandem purchase in September and order/purchased an IPOD and Pb15" from an educational re-seller.
    I paid in full.

    I received my IPOD but have been waiting more than 4weeks for delivery of the Pb 15". Each time I'm lead to believe it'll be the following week.
    Today was I was suppose to receive delivery and AGAIN it has not arrived??(Apparently Pb 15" combo drives arrived and I orderd Superdrive). I reached a point where I want to cancel my order. I NEED the laptop for work. Plus I will be travelling in the next few days, hence the reason why I decided to buy a laptop in the first place.
    I'm really very disappointed at the lack of service. What do you do now?
    I purchased from the re-seller because I got a better deal , plus there was the mail in rebate(which can be still used I was assured by the re-seller because I purchased/paid before the end date).
    But do I cancel my order from the educational re-seller and rather buy a Pb 15" from an Apple store and take delivery right away?
    The fact I will be away/travelling for 4 weeks as from Friday sans(w/o) Pb 15" or any other Laptop has but severe pressure on me!!! I' so F**king mad!!

    (Rant mode off)

    Signed Disillusioned
     
  2. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

    ColoJohnBoy

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2003
    Location:
    Denver, Colorado
    #2
    Since you need the PowerBook so soon, go ahead and cancel your order with the reseller and buy one at the Apple Store. You can still usse your educational discount there, and if you explain the situation regarding the rebate and iPod and such, I'm positive they'll be willing to work with you. I know, it sucks that it's taken this long. In their defense, I'm glad they are delaying orders so they can work out the kinks now, rather than knowingly shipping a faulty product and dealing with the consequences later.
     
  3. Fahd macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 26, 2003
    #3
    I believe it may take just as long for apple to ship you a 15" since they're still working on the screen problems with the 15". I would suggest that you just hang in there if you are dead set on the 15", otherwise go ahead and cancel the order and get a 12" or 17" as these ship right away. I got mine the very next day all the way from Taiwan, even though I had selected the free ground shipping option.
     
  4. Lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    #4
    Thanks for replying guys :)

    Well. yesterday after I had calmed down , I weighted my options. And unfortunately I was 'up a creek without a paddle'.

    I'm from Canada, and will be spending some time in Chicago for some 4 weeks. Yesterday I though what I could do was cancel my order and purchase a Pb 15" from the Apple store on Michigan Ave. But it dawned on me that when I return back into Canada I will have custom duty implications. So that option was shot down.
    I spoke with the guy that I purchased the deal from, he said he was informed by the Canadian Apple distributor that "the next shipment from Taiwan will arrive in California on Thursday but he does not know when Canada will receive their allocated orders from the USA?"
    So looks like no Pb before I leave on Friday :mad:

    Ordinarily I'd be very chill about the whole matter, especially since they are having a few issues with the 15", and I would prefer they sort them out at the factory before shipping out. :)

    The whole idea of purchasing a laptop/notebook 4 weeks ago was because of this move on Friday.

    So now I'm kinda screwed.

    No Pb before Friday.
    Purchasing Pb in the USA, will have custom duties implication when returning into Canada.
    Cancelling order, means losing out on the rebate promotion. :mad:
    Purchasing from another store before Friday seems to be slim pickings plus paying full retail. Plus no rebate.

    Purchasing from a educational re-seller and using the rebate would have translated to almost $600 Canadian in savings for me.
    :( Now's that's moot.
    If I wait for my Pb 15" to arrive , it would mean I would have to fly back to Canada to pick it up. Which is just plain nutz.
    Guy says he is not sure if he can ship it to me in the US.

    This is turning out to be a bad expierence. In the greater scheme of things 'it's only a late delivery of a laptop' but unfortunately has many implications.

    Looks like I will cancel my order. Basically losing $600 I could have saved. Paying credit card fees for 4 weeks without getting a Laptop. Losing money on the Tom Bihn carrier bag I have bought for the 15" Most of all, having to figure out how I'm going to manage w/o a laptop for 4 weeks.
    Some may ask, why did I not have a contigency plan? Well, when the guy a at the store each week promises it would arrive. And each week another excuse when it does not arrive. One kinda gets strung along for 4 weeks without realizing. Yesterday was the last straw!!


    :(
     
  5. zcar86 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2003
    #5
    I was in the same boat as you.

    I've used PC Dekstops all my life. I was now in need of a Laptop. So i decided on the Powerbook. I went to every apple dealer here looking for a 15" PB. Everyone said about 6-8 weeks for delivery.

    Unfortunatley, i couldn't wait that long. While i was in a local LAPTOP store, I saw a really Nice Toshiba P20 PC Laptop, 17" 3.2ghz. It caught my eye and i made the purchase

    It's great that apple has decided to hold back as they fix their screen, but unfortunatly i couldn't wait.

    So, i'm not a switcher yet..., maybe some day
     
  6. Lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    #6
    I hear ya!

    But there is nothing out there that matches the design beauty of the Powerbooks.

    Well problem resolved , kinda! Cancelled my Pb 15" preorder. :(
    Basically lost potential savings of $600 Canadian(educational re-seller price and the rebate promo). 4 Weeks credit card fees for a product I never received. Out of pocket for New Tom Bihn bag purchased in anticipation of the Pb 15".

    And still need to purchase a Laptop.


    :(
     
  7. Counterfit macrumors G3

    Counterfit

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2003
    Location:
    sitting on your shoulder
    #7
    Well, it's a bit late, but I was going to suggest having someone you know in Canada either shipping or bringing it to you in Chicago. I suppose the feasibility of that depends on where in Canada you live...
     
  8. Lurker thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2003
    #8
    Thanks for the advice Counterfit.


    That's an option I did consider as well. Unfortunately the guy at the store could 'once' again not give me an ETA. I was not going to get suckered into waiting another 4 weeks by which time I will be back in Canada.
    I needed the Laptop for work for the next 4 weeks, waiting around in hopes of a delivery was not an option again.

    What I could not understand WHY he could not tell me more conclusive information from the get go. If there was going to be a delay at least I could have been prepared. But each time I was promised 'next week'. He said that Apple Canada does not get that much in the way of delivered units from the US. Apparently Apple Toronto distribution has been waiting for several months for about a 100 units. Kinda strange as I'm sure I walked into another Apple store 3 weeks and they had stock of 15". That's why I believed him each time, that delivery was imminent(sp?)
     

Share This Page