Dilemma with my G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by applegeek13, Jan 30, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

I have a PowerMac G4 FW800 model, the dual 1.25. It also has a 23" Cinema display hooked up to it. MY problem is, it's becoming a money pit. It's not very stable anymore and it's requiring a lot of work to keep it going. It does run quickly, though, and does what I ask it to. My main question to you is this: Should I sell it? It's no longer my main computer, but it might have been if it weren't so darn buggy. (Safari never works, nor Firefox, nor Camino) I would like to keep using a PowerMac, or Mac Pro, but this one has become such a hassle, having to un-set it up, open it, fix something, put it back, test, repeat. IF I were to sell it, how much could I ask, what could I do to get the most money possible for it, and what can I buy that is newer but still in the Pro series? I already have a laptop, so I would love to have a reliable powerhouse on my desk. Also, what might make it more stable? Thank you in advance!

2. macrumors 6502

d88co88

Well, what do you mean that Safari, Firefox, and Camino "don't work?"

3. thread starter macrumors regular

They sit and load and load, and nothing ever shows up. Sometimes if I restart it, and refresh enough, the page will load. I'm fairly certain it's the browsers, seeing as they once worked, then one by one died.

4. macrumors 68000

Have you tried an OS X Reinstall? If its a software issue that oughta cure it.

5. macrumors 68000

Nameci

If you are interested and happen to be in the US and if your 23" apple cinema display is the one acryllic/clear plastic then I am more than willing to buy it...

:D

Yes, try reinstalling the OS first, we mean a real clean install.

6. thread starter macrumors regular

I'll try reinstalling Leopard sometime. I only clicked the "Upgrade" button when I upgraded from Tiger. That may fix some things. And yes, it is the Acrylic Cinema Display, the biggest they made of this sort. :D

7. macrumors 68000

Nameci

when all else fails, that i wish do not. I am very much honored to be a foster owner of your 23" cinema display...

:D

sorry for the OoT.

8. thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What do you mean?

9. macrumors 68000

Nameci

When all the advises fails that I wish it will not for you. OOT is out of topic, i am sorry for that.

10. macrumors 68000

One day I will have to find a way of creating an Acryllic housing for a 30" Panel to sit next to a highly-upgraded G4 - why? No reason, other than it would look cool... :cool:

11. macrumors member

Tyroler

I bought me "Clean my Mac " software from internet and now its working very well
    It recovered 14.4 Gb in just 3 Month

12. macrumors 68000

Totally unnecessary, and judging by your other posts it could well be causing you massive amounts of problems, OP stay away, it wont sort out your problem and is likely to introduce corruption.