Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
okay heres my problem.

im creating album covers/dvd covers/cd art etc. in photoshop using templates for photoshop.

on the screen... using the rulers there as guides... the dimensions are right.... but they print out wrong... or the client gets them and they look bigger or smaller when they try to use them.

what can i do to make sure whatever template i use the size is going to be consistent no matter what?

what temps do you all use?

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
If you're using a template that is sized up correctly and yet prints oddly somewhere else, I suspect that it's user error. Maybe you're printing to fit page, or scaling it for some unknown reason.

Check your printing and/or page setup boxes very carefully.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
krossfyter said:
okay heres my problem.

im creating album covers/dvd covers/cd art etc. in photoshop using templates for photoshop.

on the screen... using the rulers there as guides... the dimensions are right.... but they print out wrong... or the client gets them and they look bigger or smaller when they try to use them.

what can i do to make sure whatever template i use the size is going to be consistent no matter what?

what temps do you all use?

I haven't had this exact problem, but I would suggest you do the artwork in Photoshop and use Illustrator or InDesign to lay out the covers.

Having said that, it's hard to determine what the exact cause of your issue might be without knowing what you've sent them and what it is they're doing with it. At a guess I'd say the Image Size is being adjusted. If you take a 300dpi file and bump it down to 200dpi (for example) without re-samping the image, then the size of the document is going to change i.e. it'll go from 6"x5" @ 300dpi to 9"x7.5" @ 200dpi. What you should do is ask them what's happening on their end. Both of you should be working at the same scale/resolution, and if you're not then problems like this will be all too common.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
thnx so much for the help you all. appreciate it.

okay so i guess im going to try and use illustrator to lay it out and send that.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
krossfyter said:
thnx so much for the help you all. appreciate it.

okay so i guess im going to try and use illustrator to lay it out and send that.

make sure you embed the images before you send...

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
ah yeh. without a doubt. thnx for the heads up.

by the way do you all have any temps for illustrator? cd jacket/dvd jacket/cd surface etc. or where are you all getting yours from?

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
krossfyter said:
ah yeh. without a doubt. thnx for the heads up.

by the way do you all have any temps for illustrator? cd jacket/dvd jacket/cd surface etc. or where are you all getting yours from?

just get a ruler and measure a pre-existing cd jacket/dvd jacket/cd surface. Make your own template to match those dimensions. And remember, for cd/dvd jackets, you should account for the fold...maybe 1/16" or so. Trial and error will help you sort it out.

krossfyter

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jan 13, 2002
secret city
beatsme said:
just get a ruler and measure a pre-existing cd jacket/dvd jacket/cd surface. Make your own template to match those dimensions. And remember, for cd/dvd jackets, you should account for the fold...maybe 1/16" or so. Trial and error will help you sort it out.

yeh i was doing that but i got tired of measuring all the time.
but... if i cant find anything ill do this. thnx.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
krossfyter said:
yeh i was doing that but i got tired of measuring all the time.
but... if i cant find anything ill do this. thnx.

well, the cases and discs are all one standard size...so one time to measure and then some tweaking to get it down should suffice.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.