Dimm

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Muskie, Dec 11, 2003.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

My friend as I had an argument yesterday over what DIMM meant. I thought it was Digital Integrated Memory Module. I learned that in a class I'm taking. Granted, its a Graphic Design class, but I do think they would get that right at least... :) My friend got all huffy and said I learned it wrong and that it was Dual In-line Memory Module, which I later confirmed online. I had an idea that maybe DIMMs had a different meaning in the Mac world (by friend is a big peecee buff). I was just wondering what this means. Did I really learn it wrong? Or is it both? Are they compeltely different things? Please clarify! Thank you.

2. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

According to Wikipedia.org your friend is right. It doesn't seem like something that would change from platform to platform.

3. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Your friend is absolutely right. I'm an Electronics Systems Engineer and have actually deisgned memory chips, so I know them quite well. "DIMM" refers to the architecture of the RAM - "Dual In-Line Memory Module". The old technology employed was SIMM, "Single In-Line Memory Module".

Hope this helps!

4. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

i find your definition kind of funny. using the word 'digital' in describing RAM is kind of redundant.

5. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

The change from single to dual in-line makes sense to me name-wise. That's what had me most confused to why I was taught digital integrated... I dunno where that came from. Thank you all for clearning this up. dual in-line it is!