dimming my iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ero87, May 2, 2006.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Is there a way for me to dim my iMac's screen immediately? I don't want to shut it off or sleep it. I know that I can change it to "sleep display after 1 minute", but my grumpy, sleepy roommate often demands that it go entirely black immediately.

any ideas?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Mmm, option one is that you could dim it from the keyboard... I think, on my Apple BT keyboard, screen brightness is controlled by a couple of the rightmost Fn keys...maybe F14 and F15.

Option two is to find a blank screen saver, since OS X does not have one built in, and assign it to a hot corner. Here is one such option.

3. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

the brightness trick doesn't make it nearly dark enough, but that screensaver thing helps a little. Still, it doesn't make the screen "dark" (cuz it's still emitting "black" light, know what i mean?). I appreciate the help though, I'm gonna use it for now.

any other ideas?

4. poolin1243 macrumors 6502

splasm.com...

i believe they have a brightness freeware program!

5. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

thanks! all responses have been very helpful.

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

oh no! After testing both of the aforementioned solutions in the absolute dark, neither makes the screen go dark. it still produces a grayish light.

this relaly isn't that big of an issue, as the screen can go dim in 1 minute... but a solution would be much appreciated, and MR members are the best at finding unique solutions!