Direct Connect

Discussion in 'Community' started by liquidpophybrid, Apr 26, 2004.

1. liquidpophybrid macrumors newbie

I was just wondering guys, is there a way to figure out what server someone is from? I ask because I was downloading from a guy when the damn thing quit out on its own. I have no idea what server he as from though. Any suggestions?

2. ShiggyMiyamoto macrumors 6502a

ShiggyMiyamoto

You're talking about the P2P program Direct Connect right?

3. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It could only have been one of the hubs you were on :p

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

To put it simply, Counterfit is right - if you know what hub you were on, well, he had to have been on the same hub - at that point in time. Just as you can log off and onto other hubs, so can he. So, if it's a hub he frequents, then you might have some luck finding him again, but if he just randomly connects to whichever hub at the time, you might be SOL. :cool:

5. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I make a note of the exact file size of all that I d/l and if I have an incomplete movie and the user doesn't come back I simply re-search for that movie and download any that were the same size. that way I know its the same copy whether is the same name or not. if the file name is different just rename the incomplete file and download. works for me every time.

6. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Good call - I do the same as well on my Mac. Although using my modified DC++ client on my Win2k3 Server box, that resume functionality is essentially built in - all I have to do is do a "download as" as it automatically scans my "Partials" directory to see if there is the same file already partially downloaded, in which case it resumes it for me. :cool:

7. blue&whiteman macrumors 65816

blue&whiteman

I really wish they would update the mac version :( its 2+ years old now and doesn't support many hubs needs. I find about half of the hubs work with the mac version. good thing is though that it mainly seems to be the larger ones that let the older neo clients join. trashcan is where I usually go. 1300+ users most times.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, an update is long overdue - that's why I use my PC server box for my DC needs. I have hubs bookmarked which always let me on and have 3000+ users on an any one time and upwards of 350 TB being shared. And that's just one hub - I connect to 3 similar ones simultaneously. :cool:

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

WOOHOO!! IWINIWINIWIN!!!! erm, what do I win? :D

10. Mac Boy macrumors newbie

I have a question About Direct Connect! How do you make a user name that will allow you to enter a server??? I cant enter one because I dont know this information, Please help!