Direct link to desktop version of Twitter for iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by m021478, Dec 6, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2007
    Does anyone know if there is a URL that will force my iPad to open the desktop version of twitter, not the mobile version?

I know you can always just go tot the mobile version then click the 'Standard' desktop version link at the bottom of that page to visit the desktop version of Twitter, but I'd like to know if there is a direct link that will force an iPad to display the desktop version.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
  2. macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2010
    All you have to do is go on twitter, click on the desktop version and add a bookmark. It worked for me when I just tried it as a bookmark and on my home screen.
  3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2007
    That worked because when you did that it creates a cookie which is stored for later use...

I am actually building an iPad app right now, and a section of the app has a built-in browser that links to twitter, and I would like to have it automatically load the desktop version the first time around, rather than requiring that people click the desktop button first to store the cookie.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated... Thanks!
  4. macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2010
    Would it be possible to make the app you're building go to the desktop version of a website? I'm not a dev so it might be a dumb question.:D
  5. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 23, 2007
    That's precisely the question I am also asking...
  6. macrumors newbie

May 4, 2011
  7. macrumors 68000

Dec 15, 2006
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    Why not have the browser in your app identify it's self as a desktop browser?

8. macrumors newbie

Aug 18, 2011

So i have an iPod touch &inotice that once u access mobile.twitter it doesnt allow u to access the original desktop page? Anythin u guys know bout that'll help me find the original desktop page?
  9. macrumors 6502a

Mar 15, 2011
    That's probably the best way to do it.
  10. macrumors newbie

Aug 19, 2011
    Help on iphone

Hi guys, i read about a 'standard' button but i couldn't find it on iPhone Safari. It insists on opening the mobile site version. Where is this 'standard' button? I would really appriciate a help here. Thanks.
  11. macrumors newbie

May 24, 2009
    anti-microsoft and TheWheelMan, how would I identify the app's browser as a desktop browser? I'm trying to do exactly what m021478 is trying, and I'm also stumped so far.

--Steve D.