Direct3d doesn't work in Bootcamp windows xp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by neut6o1, Dec 16, 2006.

1. neut6o1 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I got a macbook pro recently, and I wanted to play games on windows xp through bootcamp. I installed bootcamp and windows fine, and then installed the bootcamp drivers. After that I installed oblivion, and when I tried to run the game, it gave me an error report screen.

I then checked dxdiag.exe and on the display tab, I get the note "Hardware accelerated Direct3D 9+ is not available because the display driver does not support it. You may be able to get a newer driver from the hardware manufacturer.".

Also, the ATI drivers from the bootcamp drivers cd are not digitally signed.

I tried downloading and running the ATI mobility catalyst drivers, but when I tried to install it, it claimed that it couldn't find any graphics cards that match the drivers. My card is the ati X1600 256mb.

Is anyone else having this problem? Everything else is working for me fine, except the one thing I want to do, haha. Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help.

Chris

2. Inakto macrumors regular

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

Your graphics drivers aren't installed properly.

ATi do not generally support mobile chipsets and as such the drivers on their site will not install on all mobile chipsets.

The drivers on the ATi site will however function perfectly if they are modified to recognise the macs graphics card.

www.driverheaven.net have a program called mobility modder which allows you to do this.

4. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

Well, ATi drivers have historically been not so great. It can be a hit and miss.

5. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Catalyst 7.11-8.3 has been smooth for me. Even the "beta" Radeon 3800 Series drivers.

I forget what I used back in 2005 though.

6. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

You have to go back a fair few years to find the bad drivers. Back before the Radeon 9700 and probably back before any Radeon that was released.

7. (KHC) Shadow macrumors newbie

Ya i have the same problem! With mine i installed boot camp and windows xp home. I introduced my friends to this halo demo (u can play multiplayer which is awesome) because i dont want to spend 50 bucks on the whole game.
    But they all have windows computers so i cant play with them. Luckily like i said earlier i have boot camp, but the problem is that first of all, the windows cant connect to my apple aiport for some reason. And the second thing is that once i download it i know it wont work because my graphics chip wont support that directx thing or watever. (i know this because i also have parallels and i tried it on that but i had the directx problem). HELPPPP

8. vistafanboi macrumors member

The reason the ATI Mobility driver on their website errored out when you attempted to install them was simple: These drivers are not designed for Apple Intel-based PCs. To obtain the latest driver for your ATI x1600/256, you must obtain them from Apple.

Your only viable solution is to obtain a graphics card which is compatible with DirectX 9, or has a DirectX 9-compatible driver available.

If your particular Macintosh allows it, change out your current video card for a non-Mobility card which is fully DirectX9-compliant.

Otherwise, you are kind of exiled from the world of Windows-based gaming, unless the games are Windows95-Windows 9x-based games (i.e., "Pre-DirectX9-Compatible only").

It sometimes helps by setting their icon's properties like this:
    1) Right-click on the icon used to launch the application or game.
    2) Choose "Properties" from the Popup menu.
    3) Click on the "Compatibility" Tab
    4) Under "Compatibility mode", ensure that a check-mark is in the box next to "Run this program in compatibility mode for:"
    5) This will allow the greyed-out drop-down list from which to choose a compatibility type to become enabled, beginning with Windows 95, and ending with Windows Server 2003 SP1.

The remaining settings on that page refer generally to the Desktop and its appearance on various types of displays. Sometimes (as in, "with older CRTs and such") these settings are important, and the wrong setting here can keep a program from running even if the hardware is capable of running it.

6) Once you have set the compatibility level you want, click on "OK" (or "Apply", then "Ok").

Many times, this will help older programs to run on newer Microsoft OSes. But it will NOT help NEWER programs run on older OSes, since Windows compatibility is always backward.

IF truth be told, the only practical way to help a program requiring a better graphics card to run is by obtaining one. I realize that this can sometimes hurt the old pocket-book, but there is no other (or cheaper) solution.

Donald L McDaniel:(

9. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Uhm, the OP wrote that over a year ago.

10. The Flashing Fi macrumors 6502a

If you want to update the drivers for Windows, you can try OmegaDrivers. They're modified drivers designed to increase game performance. I tried them on my old Laptop (had an x1400) and they installed and worked flawlessly.

http://www.omegadrivers.net/ati_winxp.php

11. (KHC) Shadow macrumors newbie

uhhh im not really exactly sure what you guys r talking about but i have a black macbook (oldish one i got it alittle after they came out) and im going to the mac store tomarow so if i figure out how to fix it ill post.

oh ya heres this stuff

Intel GMA 950:

Chipset Model: GMA 950
    Type: Display
    Bus: Built-In
    VRAM (Total): 64 MB of shared system memory
    Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
    Device ID: 0x27a2
    Revision ID: 0x0003
    Displays:
    Color LCD:
    Display Type: LCD
    Resolution: 1280 x 800
    Depth: 32-bit Color
    Built-In: Yes
    Core Image: Hardware Accelerated
    Main Display: Yes
    Mirror: Off
    Online: Yes
    Quartz Extreme: Supported
    Display Connector:

12. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

This is wrong. The ATi x1600 chipset in a Mac is identical to the equivalent PC version which means it is fully compatible with the standard ATi graphics drivers.

The only difference with the Mac version is that it is 'named' differently so the drivers won't install. This feature is standard in drivers to make sure you don't install the wrong driver for a piece of hardware and hard crash the machine.

As long as you can add the Mac's X1600 device ID to the standard driver then it will work fine. This is why mobility modder was released.

I won't even comment on that...

Graphics card drivers are on the Intel website. Have a nose around there and you'll find them. Look for 945 chipset graphics drivers, or just GMA 950 drivers.

You could also just use the bootcamp driver set which will install everything for you. You will need either leopard for this (tiger bootcamp drivers are no longer available) or illegally download the leopard drivers from a torrent site.