Directly access SD card from desktop?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by adam1185, Nov 24, 2006.

1. adam1185 macrumors regular

Apr 30, 2004
    I have a canon powershot sd450 digicam that takes sd cards. I want to copy some mp3 files to the sd card for use in my Nintendo Wii but I can't seem to find a way to mount the sd card on the desktop through the camera so I can copy files to it. Do I need a separate card reader to copy files to the camera's sd card or can I do it directly through the card?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    Just buy a USB card reader for $9 - $18

It makes life SO much easier. Way faster than usb cable transfer from the camera and doesn't eat camer batteries.
  3. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    I don't know about your specific model camera, but many Canon digicams do not support USB automount. CanadaRAM's suggestion is your best bet.
  4. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    most printers these days have built-in card readers, as well. if you're in the market for a new printer, look for one with a card reader. all my HP printers (3) have card readers and they work great. but $10-20 for an external card reader isn't too bad, either.
  5. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    FWIW some cameras, like my Lumix FX-01 can be switched from mass storage mode to PTP mode and will then either show up or not on the desktop. Doesn't help you though since Canon has been very late to adopt the mass storage driver model, and so most Canons cannot be mounted on the desktop.