Director Ran Out of Money, Finished Shooting his Oscar-Nominated Movie on an iPhone

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 19, 2013.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    While filming Oscar-nominated documentary "Searching for Sugar Man", director Malik Bendjelloul said, in an interview with CNN Money, that he ran out of money and had to finish filming his movie on his iPhone with the 8mm Vintage Camera app.
    In the past there have been other directors, like Oldboy director Park Chan-wook, who've used iPhones to shoot films. There's even an iPhone Film Festival dedicated to movies shot on the devices, but Bendjelloul's film has since been nominated for an Academy Award.

Nexvio Inc.'s 8mm Vintage Camera app has seen an increase in downloads in the past five or so days, according to a chart from sister-site AppShopper. The app has gone through a couple different price drops over the past year and a half, which is why Bendjelloul refers to the app as a "$1 app," but is currently available for $1.99. [Direct Link]

The 85th annual Academy Awards will air on February 24th, 2013.

Article Link: Director Ran Out of Money, Finished Shooting his Oscar-Nominated Movie on an iPhone

2. macrumors 6502

That is quite possibly the coolest iPhone related story I've ever read.

3. macrumors 6502a

Pretty cool. Hopefully he didn't need any low-light shots, though.

4. macrumors 68020

iapplelove

i have owned the app for well over a year now,it really does have a pretty nice feel.

5. macrumors regular

Macrolido

Hopefully I could do the same with my iPod touch.

6. macrumors 6502a

lolkthxbai

If the movie wins, i can only imagine what that would do for the iPhone and the app.

7. macrumors regular

This cannot be serious...with an iPhone app? Lol he couldn't buy a point and shoot that's a million times better than any cellphone camera?

Come on now...this is just...wow bad...

8. HMI
    macrumors 6502a

HMI

Producers don't like hearing that their directors "ran out of money."

9. macrumors regular

My iPad 3's camera totally blows away my Panasonic lumix in terms of picture quality, and I assume an iPhone 5 is similar or better.

10. macrumors regular

Or he could've used the money that he would have spent on a camera to buy more 8mm film. Oh, wait...

Seriously - what's happening to people's comprehension skills? These sort of comments are far too frequent.

11. macrumors 6502

He couldn't have finished the movie on his iPhone 5 if the device hadn't even been announced yet when the movie came out in July 2012... just pointing out that someone should correct the article :p

12. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

He could have filmed the whole movie with his iPhone using this app, or with any consumer digital videocamera with a decent lens and then apply similar 8mm filter during the editing process, saving a ton of money.

In the end, what makes a movie succeed is its content, not necessarily the equipment used to make the movie. Still, the iPhone camera was apparently very suitable for the job.

13. macrumors newbie

I'm glad someone else caught this. The film was released at Sundance LAST year, so it barely would even have been filmed on a 4S either.

14. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I changed it to iPhone, since we aren't sure exactly which model.

arn

15. macrumors 68030

Amazing Iceman

I do notice that the only problem with the iPad 3 camera (and probably other versions) is the glare on the lens when there is a light source nearby in front of the lens. This can be easily solved with anything that would block direct light directly into the lens. Also, if there's not enough light, the image becomes grainy (even with normal indoor light).
    Do you use the native camera app or a third-party app?

16. macrumors 604

Wb when low light conditions and zoom come into the picture?

17. macrumors 68000

While the story is cool, unless his Oscar relates to the quality of the filming itsn't it a bit pointless to mention it is Oscar nominated? I mean, if the film wins for best screenplay or best supporting actor, it doesn't really matter on what device the film was shot on...does it?

Still a really cool story, wonder if he used FCPX to edit it ;)

18. macrumors 68000

ThunderSkunk

No sweat, we'll get it in post.

[ahem] [cough] [wheeze]

19. macrumors 68000

20. macrumors 65816

ctdonath

That the device+app is good enough that it didn't detract from whatever it's nominated for is a very good indication of realistic quality.

21. macrumors 6502a

DipDog3

Could we get a [Direct Link] to the actual app??

22. macrumors 68000

Fair enough and agreed. But the title of this article makes is sound as if he was nominated for a cinematography award.

23. macrumors member

Did you read the article?

24. macrumors 65816

inscrewtable

Even though the iphone has an 8mp camer and the touch a 5mp camera don't they shoot the same 30 fps 1080p video quality?

Just bought the app and it looks very nice well worth $2

25. macrumors newbie

"I realized that there was this $1 app here on my iPhone and I tried it and it was basically the same as the real stuff."

really..... a tiny, 8mp sensor is basically the same as 8mm film...

More amazing than this guy using the iphone to finish the movie, is that he also seems to be blind..
    :cool: