Directory erased, please help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by rinseout, Jul 6, 2005.

1. rinseout macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    So I'm doing some work in Terminal and decide to rm -rf one of my directories (folders). (Not the root directory :) ) That directory had a folder inside it that I want back.

Please tell me there is some fantastical way to recover this? As an added bonus I have since re-created a folder with the same name as the one I rm -rf'ed and done more work in it. As a super-extra bonus, I use FileVault.

Fortunately I backed up what I want again on the weekend, but the external HD is kept in a very safe (so, inconvenient) place.

Just wondering if there is some way of recovering this more easily than making a trip to my backup disk's location....
  2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    Having them sent to you...? :p

Seriously. When you rm something, then write more stuff to the disk (and since you mention FileVault I guess you logged out and let that reclaim the unused space) those things might just as well be considered gone for good.

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    It's really that hard to lift the tank cover off your toilet and pull the backup drive out?
  4. rinseout thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 20, 2004
    Darnit! That's really too bad.

I started backing up because of the neighbourhood speed freaks, but it turns out I'm the one I should have been afraid of.