DirecTV: First the NFL, now MLB

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by swiftaw, Jan 26, 2007.

1. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't get the reasoning by MLB for this. Why not sign deals with everyone.

3. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

isn't this slightly monopolistic in practice? shouldn't people have choice?

4. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

You mean like the iPhone?

Companies are going for the highest bidder, they don't care about who misses out as long as they get there payday.

5. AstrosFan macrumors 6502

AstrosFan

So is MLB.com an option?
    I remember reading something on this forum previously that they were no longer supporting Macs, but I couldn't find that thread in a search just now.

I no longer live in Houston, so I may have difficulty catching my Astros! :eek:

Thanks in advance for help!

6. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

Why would you not be able to get Directv? Unless you live in somesort of community that does not allow you to hang a dish "As long as you have a clear view of the south west sky" you should be able to get Directv.
    heck, I even know guys who get western sat. in China for gods sake.

7. topgunn macrumors 65816

topgunn

I live in Houston and can't stand the Astros. I miss my lowly Rangers. I have Dish and in prior season I had the extra innings package. Now I have to switch to DirecTV (not happening) or miss 90% of their games. You would think the MLB would want as many people to view their product as possible. Apparently not.

Well, you know the Slingbox was invented by two San Fransico business men who couldn't stand to miss the Giants games when they were on the road. So, they invented the Slingbox so they would never have to miss another game. What I may do is buy one and have my folks in Dallas install it on one of there sets so that I can see every game and not pay a dime. I wonder if Apple TV would be able to stream it to my TV.

8. SactoGuy18 macrumors 68020

SactoGuy18

By the way, there is serious talk that Congress and the FCC maybe looking at the DirecTV/MLB deal. There is talk of possible lawsuits due to the strongly anticompetitive nature of the deal, given that the MLB Extra Innings package was available on Dish Network and many cable systems in addition to DirecTV.

Interestingly, the Feds won't touch the NFL Sunday Ticket package, mostly because it was only DirecTV that offered this programming package all along.

9. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Last I heard this isn't a done deal yet and the cable companies are fighting this. DirecTV is going to get exclusive rights to the MLB Channel and they are using that as a bargaining chip and they want the cable companies to sign on to that.

10. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

petition to keep extra innings on cable

http://www.petitiononline.com/MLBCABLE/petition.html

i'm actually a directv customer myself, and they need to have the package available to all, not just the privileged few that can get directv. i actually got directv a few years back after cable service for us was just the worst and just wanted to charge arms and legs for service.

but besides, i think a exclusive deal means bad news, as extra innings would be jacked up on directv with prices going up in the next few years. expect bad service more often as well, with no competition to make the fans go anywhere.

and mlb's audio and video services are really poor, the radio is terrible, that's why i cancelled after 2004 when i heard the spring training coverage was terrible. and now they want me to pay 10 bucks for it?! i want to know my quality before i buy, not get scammed into a bad deal for poor quality. sometimes, i just hate the stupid decisions this league makes it for it to be harder to watch. if they don't do something soon, mlb will once again be in major league trouble.