DIRECTV iPhone Application Now Available

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 30, 2009.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

DIRECTV's iPhone application [App Store, Free] is now available in the App Store. The application allows DIRECTV subscribers to program their DVRs while on the go via Wi-Fi, 3G or EDGE.

DIRECTV also notes that one of the following DVR models is required for remote recording functionality: DIRECTV PLUS DVR (models R15, R16, R22), DIRECTV PLUS HD DVR (models HR20, HR21, HR23) or TiVo Series 2 receivers with 6.4a software.

Article Link: DIRECTV iPhone Application Now Available

2. macrumors 6502

I'm on Dish Network and loving the SlingGuide beta (http://dish.sling.com/) which offers nearly identical functionality in a web app (desktop and mobile versions).

However, having it in a native app would indeed be great.

EDIT: Wicked! They're working on it -- http://dish.sling.com/faq.php

3. macrumors 6502a

I have an old (single tuner) Series 2 Tivo - is there any chance this would actually work on that without a DirecTV subscription? I can't believe it would but might as well ask.

Nice stuff in any case! Now hurry up Apple and approve Sling. :)

4. macrumors member

I have downloaded this app and it's simple, and makes a great feature by DirecTV even better (see my post - DirecTV’s DVR Scheduler Rocks!).

Definitely an AHA moment for DVR users.

Cheers,

Mark

5. macrumors 68020

scirica

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5H11 Safari/525.20)

I've been using (playing with) this all morning. One of the best executed native apps to date. I saw the tease on a commercial a few weeks back and was praying it was a real app.

Prayers answered!

6. macrumors 6502

it required 2.2.1, i have 2.2 and it won't let me download. i hate to re-jailbreak just to install this app

Attached Files:

7. macrumors 601

So download 2.2.1. Whats stopping you?

8. macrumors 6502

jailbreak/unlock

9. macrumors regular

i would just keep using m.directv.com

2.2.1 doesnt offer enough improved functionality to warrant a clean install and re-jailbreak/re-unlock. i dont believe the native app gives you that much more than the web app anyways. id hold out till iphone software 3.0

10. macrumors newbie

Is this only available in the USA? I'm from Australia and i couldn't see this app in the iTunes store?

11. macrumors member

DIRECTV iPhone Application Now Available

If this is NEW... and release as of today.... why does it not show up in the New and Noteworthy section of iTunes?:confused:

12. macrumors regular

13. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

maybe cause apple doesn't think it's "noteworthy"?

14. macrumors member

That's what really sucks about these forums, you ask for help, but all you get these days are stupid sarcasm.

Your opinion is one thing, but being constructive or positive I guess is not in your world.

15. macrumors 6502

from DirecTV:

16. macrumors regular

Just goes to show, jailbreaking has its price.

17. macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

I'm pretty sure that this is only available in the US, since that the only people that are able to get DirecTV service live in the US.

18. macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

you mean sarcasm like this?

you asked a question, and i answered... how is that sarcastic?

19. macrumors 65816

I still get a cannot connect to server error on Edge, 3G, and Wifi. The application connects, but this notice always pops up. Any ideas?

20. macrumors newbie

The same reason a car dealership doesn't feature every single new model in their commercials... all about these $$$.

21. macrumors 601

Ahh.. Well thats your own fault I suppose.

22. macrumors regular

If only the Cable Companies (ie. Cox) would follow through.

23. macrumors newbie

Try ICEtv in Australia. It has had the same functionality as this app for months.

24. macrumors 6502a

vvebsta

yay! this is very cool :)

25. macrumors 68000

FreeState

No it wont work. THe app signs you into your Directv account - and does all the services offered on Directv's website (it sends a signal via the satellite to your DTV box).