Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajiuo

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
I hope the Apple TV app supports the Now service and the standard service. I get directv as part of my apartment rent... I don't even have it hooked up because I don't want another box to deal with...but if I could access it on Apple TV, I would use it... I want Apple TV to be my only box on my tv... all though I will probably get a Nintendo switch as well.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
hhhmmm if the list of channels is promising I could see myself getting this over my current Verizon Fios service... the only question would be how do I go about getting high speed internet without a cable subscription?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
hhhmmm if the list of channels is promising I could see myself getting this over my current Verizon Fios service... the only question would be how do I go about getting high speed internet without a cable subscription?
Just cancel the TV portion of your service from FIOS. Unless you are on a 2 year commitment you can cancel as of the end of the current monthly cycle. I assume your Internet cost will go up.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just cancel the TV portion of your service from FIOS. Unless you are on a 2 year commitment you can cancel as of the end of the current monthly cycle. I assume your Internet cost will go up.

I'll look in to that thanks. wasn't aware that they offered the internet portion on its own. I'm sure they jack up the price to the point where you have to think about it, so I'll see if its worth it.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
I'll look in to that thanks. wasn't aware that they offered the internet portion on its own. I'm sure they jack up the price to the point where you have to think about it, so I'll see if its worth it.
The best part of Verizon FIOS is the Internet. I am now on Frontier FIOS after the purchase. I also have FIOS Internet Only for my Business but for my home I have both. I did return all of my hardware (2x DVR and 2x STB) and I use 2x CableCards now with the HDHomeRun Prime (x2) and I use the Channels App for Live TV. I am very interested in the streaming solutions but it must support ATV and it must have a No Commercial Option or at least a Cloud DVR Option. Commercials will be a major problem for most if not resolved.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
...it must have a No Commercial Option...

That's not going to happen for the new DirecTV subscription. From what I've read the new DTV subscription service is going to be an OTT version of their present offerings available via satellite.

Hopefully there will be either be a cloud DVR feature or robust VOD offerings. The service simply being a live TV streaming service, a la Sling, won't be very compelling for me.

At any rate, the Apple event is about to kick off. Perhaps we'll get more information.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Because the NFL controls all the broadcast rights to Sunday Ticket. They have been, so far, reluctant to allow the service to be available for streaming.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Because the NFL controls all the broadcast rights to Sunday Ticket. They have been, so far, reluctant to allow the service to be available for streaming.
Not true. DirecTV controls those rights within the frameworks of their deal with the NFL. Sunday Ticket has been available for streaming for a couple years. I know this because I have it and I do not have a full DirecTV account.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
Yes, but, the people who can sign up for a streaming version of Sunday Ticket is highly restricted. I probably should have said the NFL is reluctant to allow the service to be available for general streaming.

I would be very, very surprised if the general public gets access to a streaming Sunday Ticket along with the new DirecTV Now service.

dancefreak

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2004
Hermosa Beach, CA
Yes, but, the people who can sign up for a streaming version of Sunday Ticket is highly restricted. I probably should have said the NFL is reluctant to allow the service to be available for general streaming.

I would be very, very surprised if the general public gets access to a streaming Sunday Ticket along with the new DirecTV Now service.

I can get direcTV. There's an old dish on our roof actually so our address has to be in their system. Had absolutely no issue ordering the streaming sunday ticket service last year and continuing with it this year. I think at first they were a lot more strict about it, but direcTV (and now AT&T) has come to realize more money was to be had from people who wouldn't consider switching. The only limitations are those that DirecTV places on itself. Now as far as general streaming of games...yeah that's not happening for sunday afternoon games because the NFL sold those rights to DirecTV through 2022 for $1.5B/year (I might be off a year or two). I think a lot of people would argue that a per team or per game service could generate a lot of money but the NFL seems to be OK with the current arrangement for a while.

mallbritton

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2006
It sounds like DTV and the NFL are quietly changing the terms and conditions of who can and can not subscribe to the streaming Sunday Ticket, then.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Not true. DirecTV controls those rights within the frameworks of their deal with the NFL. Sunday Ticket has been available for streaming for a couple years. I know this because I have it and I do not have a full DirecTV account.

But you have to either be a college student or live in an area where you cannot get DTV

mellofello

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2011
I wonder how good the picture quality will be. I have had both the time Warner and the local telco IPTV setups. Neither do real HD. It bugs me watching low quality so I am currently streaming everything with my mom's cable credentials.

I need to try these out to see if they look good.

Reactions: MikeatOSX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.