Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
First problem encountered this morning. I'm on the basic plan, which includes things like MSNBC. So I was watching it this morning, and had been watching for quite some time when all of a sudden I got an error message saying I had to watch programming in my package. I tried changing channels, and got that on everything until I completely restarted.

I have gotten that message as well. The only thing that works for me is force closing the app and restarting. Frustrating to say the least.

Reactions: AlliFlowers

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
It'll stream up to 1080p, but it's the bitrate that makes the biggest difference. I don't have statistics for all the services. Sling is certainly watchable and I like that they have apps for just about every device. I would recommend trying out the 7 day trial to see for yourself. I enjoyed Sling but it was missing a few channels I wanted and it seems to be a service focused on continuously expanding their sports lineup (I'm not into sports).

I also have both Sling and DTVN. I took a close look at picture quality as A/B test of same programming, and definitely noticed that DTVN is higher quality. It is subjective, but significant enough to be apparent (at least to me). This is a point in favor of DTVN I think.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
New version of the app (1.04) has been released.

Can now swipe between top/bottom of the channel list.

A couple error code reporting, if not error condition fixes.

Looks like it's worth grabbing if you don't have auto-updates enabled.

Reactions: MadeTheSwitch

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
New version of the app (1.04) has been released.

Can now swipe between top/bottom of the channel list.

A couple error code reporting, if not error condition fixes.

Looks like it's worth grabbing if you don't have auto-updates enabled.
I do like the way they are coming out with frequent updates. At least they are doing that, which gives me some hope that the problems will be fixed.

ggibson913

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2006
So far pretty smooth. No regrets (yet). It's really curious why it works ok for one customer and not for another.
I have the same issues, it is only with DTVN. I get 100 mbps down so I don't think it is my internet service, ATV is hardwired into the router so no wifi delays.

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I have the same issues, it is only with DTVN. I get 100 mbps down so I don't think it is my internet service, ATV is hardwired into the router so no wifi delays.

I doubt it's the internet either since I get 100mbps down and I still encounter the issues.

Granted I encountered similar issues with PS Vue last night in the picture freezing or cutting out. I mean I know these live TV streaming services aren't without their faults, but last night was the first time I experienced constant issues with Vue like I have encountered with DTV Now.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
Just came over from Sling to DTVN. It's working well here and quality is very good. But I can't for the life of me find the 72-hour rewind feature. Sling was nice in catching missed programs from the last couple days. No such possibility with DTVN... disappointing. Anyone else have this issue?

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Just came over from Sling to DTVN. It's working well here and quality is very good. But I can't for the life of me find the 72-hour rewind feature. Sling was nice in catching missed programs from the last couple days. No such possibility with DTVN... disappointing. Anyone else have this issue?
In the guide under the show it will show a low pointing arrow to the right if the show supports it. Not all shows support it. I think you can then pause the show or hit the network icon. Can't remember off hand because I have only used it a couple of times for testing.

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
Would highly recommend PlayStation Vue instead. It's a few bucks more, but it's a highly polished app, lots of on demand content, and never had a single error during my trial. They offer an iOS/Apple TV app as well.

I may try it but ps vue in my area is $40-45 which after the internet fee is pretty close to the cost of the xfinity package I was just paying.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
In the guide under the show it will show a low pointing arrow to the right if the show supports it. Not all shows support it. I think you can then pause the show or hit the network icon. Can't remember off hand because I have only used it a couple of times for testing.

Cool, I was curious about this as well & didn't know what that arrow meant.

Also, I'm in California, does anyone know if the time can be adjusted?

I receive the live local feeds (that are available), but for the other channels, it seems are those are listed by EST. Whenever I look at my tv guide app, I have to look 3 hours in advance so it matches up with direct now.

Last edited:

mg6035

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
I'm confused. The version before this latest update had a little circular arrow under the show name on the guide if you could go back and watch from the beginning. None of the channels on my guide have that now. Also, I can't figure out how to swipe from the beginning of the guide to the end. This latest version says you can do that. Are the circular arrows gone now and how do I swipe from beginning to end?

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs

Ok thanks much. My guide shows program times including yesterday and days before, but the cursor will never go prior to current program for me. I have no circular arrow. Also made sure the channel supports rewind. I chatted with them tonight and they said rewind is undergoing maintenance. I'm surprised this rewind feature works for others here.

I'm confused. The version before this latest update had a little circular arrow under the show name on the guide if you could go back and watch from the beginning. None of the channels on my guide have that now.

Exactly.

Last edited:

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Also, I'm in California, does anyone know if the time can be adjusted?

I receive the live local feeds (that are available), but for the other channels, it seems are those are listed by EST. Whenever I look at my tv guide app, I have to look 3 hours in advance so it matches up with direct now.

DTVN only broadcasts the east coast feeds of nationwide cable channels. If you are using a seperate app for a guide you are going to run into time issues between nationwide and local channels unfortunately. Directv needs to beef up their internal guide so people don't feel the need to use a third party one. I am sure that will come with time.

Reactions: Coffee50

eyeseeyou

macrumors 68040
Feb 4, 2011
No rewind feature at all and can no longer watch certain shows from the beginning when you start watching after it's already started.

What?!

I must've overlooked that feature. Since there's no DVR functionality being able to rewing to the beginning would be awesome

mg6035

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2015
Yeah, certain networks and shows had that available in earlier versions. The official line from them is that is temporarily unavailable while they work on it. We'll see. If there is a little circular arrow on the guide under the shows name you highlight it and select it and it begins the show from the beginning. But that is gone now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.