Dirty Apple Keyboard

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by noel4r, Sep 9, 2004.

1. noel4r macrumors 6502a

Hi, I have an eMac and the keyboard that came w/ it is pretty dirty now. Is there illustrated guide out there on to how to disassemble and clean it? Thanks

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Compressed air does wonders. And it won't break anything. Mr Clean Magic Erasers do a pretty good job on the rest, but beware of rubbing the characters off of the keys. Soap and water also work (on a cloth or sponge, not via submersion). Just unplug it and let it dry completely before using it again.

3. dieselg4 macrumors regular

dieselg4

paper towels doused in Fantastic work great! use a q-tip for the ahrd-to-reach spots.

4. mklos macrumors 68000

mklos

Well, I TOTALLY clean my keyboard. I take it all apart and clean it inside and out. The keys pop right off very easily. Just use a flat head screw driver, with maybe a cloth around it so it doesn't damage the keys. Just take the screw driver and GENTLY pry upward it and it should pop right off.

Before doing that, you may want to take a picture of the keyboard if you don't know where the keys go back so you know where they go when you put it back together. Or if you have another keyboard (PC or Mac) you can use that for reference as well. Just take notice of the extra keys on a Mac keyboard vs. the PC Keyboard (eject, mute, sound up/down).

As far as taking the whole keyboard apart to get underneath it, well that all depends on what keyboard you have. Mine is the keyboard with the USB ports on the ends with white keys. If you have an older eMac you have the same keyboard, but if its a newer eMac you will have Apple's current keyboard with the USB port on the back of the keyboard. If you attempt to take the keyboard apart you have to be VERY, VERY careful with it as its basically just snapped together with a few small screws to help hold it together. So be VERY careful as you can basically ruin your keyboard if you're not careful.

I use rubbing alcohol to clean every part of my flat panel iMac, except for the screen. Since you don't have an LCD, you can use rubbing alcohol to clean your whole computer without any problems.

Thats the one thing I hate about Apple's clear keyboards with white keys. While it may look nice, it also shows all the dirt, dust, cat hair, crumbs, etc...and makes it look like crap! Apple's current keyboard is a MAJOR dirt collector by design, one reason I'm glad I have the previous version of Apple Pro Keyboards with white keys.