Dirty Ebayers

Discussion in 'Community' started by liketom, Feb 20, 2005.

1. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    You would have to be a complete idiot to pay for pirated software :rolleyes:

What can you do with people...
  3. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    Unfortunately lots of people arent too wise and do not care where they're software comes from.
  4. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Mar 19, 2004
    A series of tubes
    You can't stop it. You could report it to eBay (hahaha, good luck) or the BSA , but it's like reporting spam to an ISP; you can report all day long and it wont matter a bit.
  5. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Adobe is pretty good about scanning Ebay for obvious piracy, and macromedia is pretty famous for not caring if anyone pirates their stuff - they just want users.

I fell for an Adobe Photoshop scam on Ebay a couple of years ago - got a blank CD in the mail.

I buy all of my software now, I just feel better having good, legel valind software on my machine. Call me stupid. :eek:
  6. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA
    ok i may be very naive here so help me out.
    let's assume you actually recieve the software (unlikely i know) and lets assume you recieve the original packages, codes, cds and handbooks.
    of course you know the guy still runs the software on his mac.
    but since you bought the software and registered it is it then yours?
    it's not that you bought stolen goods but of coure you know that the seller keeps using it. whats the legal situation here?

i'm asking for the cases where you buy used software in good faith (lets say i buy a used iworks because the other guy hates pages, there where discussion like this on this board).
    of course i never can make sure that the seller didn't rip the dvd's and still uses the software. am i illegal?

btw.: i am absolutely against illegal software and music. so far all my software and music was bought by me from the original sources.
  7. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Oct 4, 2003
    Ive always ben disgusted by piracy, though I agree that the thought of paying for a pirated cd is stupid :p
  8. anotherjeff macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    It depends on the software. When you first purchase software, you may only be paying for the license, not the actual discs. In that case, you are never supposed to transfer the software to anyone else.

Unlike a book or a dvd which you pass on to a friend or sell.

Of course this idea doesn't seem right since there's a large second hand software market on ebay. Maybe the seller is supposed to uninstall the software before selling it (yeah right) which then makes it a transfer of the license. It probably all depends on what the license agreement says that everyone clicks past whenever they install software.

I have heard that World of Warcraft is designed to not be transferrable.
  9. notjustjay macrumors 603

Sep 19, 2003
    Canada, eh?
    Yeah, you'd have to read the license agreement. Some explicitly say not transferable. Others say transferable as long as you destroy the original installation and any backups.

So if you buy a program in good faith, that includes the CD and license, and the original owner still keeps a copy on his computer, you are now the legitimate owner and he is the pirate. I'm not sure what the law thinks if you purchase the software knowing full well the original copy still exists.