dirty or scratched dvd

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by dorqiekat, Jun 26, 2005.

1. dorqiekat macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    My computer and dvd player wont play the last 10 min of this dvd. My dvd player just freezes and my computer says that there was an error that it may be scratched or dirty. I looked at the dvd and at the edge, there is a light scratch... I've certainly had worse in my cd's and other dvd's. (not that I don't take good care of them...) Anyway, I tried to clean it a dozen times and even tried the toothpaste method.. No luck. Is there any other remedies you'd recommend? I'm not kidding about this scratch, it's so light that at first I didn't even think it was the reason for the dvd stalling.

help please?
  2. eva01 macrumors 601

Feb 22, 2005
    Gah! Plymouth
  3. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    Take the DVD out, rub your forehead with your hand, then rub your hand around the playing surface of the DVD. You think I'm kidding, but it has stopped many a DVD from freezing or skipping. :eek:
  4. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
  5. dorqiekat thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 3, 2004
    It's not only my computer though, my dvd player refuses to play it either. It won't even let me fast forward past it. I guess I'll have to fork out some money and get a dvd scratch remover from a store. Hope they work. :(
  6. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

Mar 12, 2005
    Hermitage, TN USA (near Nashville)
    Can you select a scene past it with the chapter select (don't just start at the beginning and push the double forward triangle skip button, but go to the scene select submenu off the main menu) and then rewind to a little past the part where it freezes?