dirty palm rest--- how to clean it?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by diehldun, Dec 28, 2003.

1. diehldun macrumors 6502a

i'm typing on my drop-dead gorgeous PowerBook 17". it's amazing.

there're still only a couple of issues since delivery that are still bugging me:

1) Latch doesn't really work too well (left one doesn't catch; right one does)

2) Since I've turned on FileVault, my toolbar icons have been moving around (Airport logo/signal disapears, bluetooth disapears, battery meter disapears... even clock!)

3) After I log-off, a window pops up from FileVault saying i have unused disk space and that it wants to clear it all up (takes too long!)

4) LOT'S, yes A LOT of bugs on AIM. I'm running 4.6, and it crashes a lot and does strange stuff.

5) The aluminum frame (particularily the exterior lid w/ white apple logo) get's really dirty, particularily if your hands are sweaty or dirty. the worst, however, is the palm-rest. by the end of the day, the mouse-trackpad and palm rest become greyish in color, and you can clearly see finger prints/palm prints.

the main issue is because this machine is sooooo beautiful and gorgeous, all my friends and family want to come over and see it. so i have to quickly wipe it, and i have an aunt who loves to critize people and things and the first thing she said is
    "SEEE!!!! I told you, only idiots get Apple. It's not IBM-Comtable.. BLAH BLAH BLAH... and look! so dirty! And i thought Apple was all about the looks! They now don't even look good, let alone work good!"

geez... but afterwards, she really liked the Powerbook and later that night, she ordered a DUALIE 2.0 GHz PowerMac G5.

anyways... back to the topic. is there a way to clean it up? i used bounty and wet it under the sink. I gently wiped the surface of the outside-facing lid (not the screen!) and the trackpad, making sure none of the water got into the keyboard, but it still doesn't clean too well.

is there a more effective way without damaging the aluminum?? the same thing for the Apple bluetooth mouse- it get's really dirty because it's all white.

thanks so much. I'm typing this right now in my aunt's house in NYC.

2. Kingsnapped macrumors 6502a

Kingsnapped

My PB is only two weeks old, so I'm not too experianced in that field. Good question for the masses.

My Airport icon has also vanished. Anyone?

3. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Re: dirty palm rest--- how to clean it?

1) Get it repaired.

2) Same problem started with 10.3.2 for me not FileVault.

3) Don't reclaim the space unless you're running low on space or turn off FileVault.

4) Use Proteus or Fire instead.

5) Kill family and friends.

I'd use a damp (soapy) cloth I wouldn't recommend anything stronger. iBook G4 users report using a soft eraser gets the dirt off the palm rest area nicely, maybe give that a try.

4. diehldun thread starter macrumors 6502a

reclaiming disk space

so you are saying every time I log off, I have to click "NO"???

jeez... i thought Apple called it fast-user switching.:eek:

5. plasticparadox macrumors 6502