Disable iChat without deleting application?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by lambing, Mar 26, 2007.

1. lambing macrumors newbie

I want to disable iChat during the week so my kids can't access it when they're supposed to be doing homework. I'd enable it on the weekends.

Do I have to delete the the application and reinstall on the weekends?

Thanks

2. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

I think parental controls allows you to specify times and dates when apps can be used.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

You should probably set up multiple user accounts for your computer so that your kids can set things up the way they like. And you can also use Parental Controls to deny them access to iChat.

4. lambing thread starter macrumors newbie

Each of the kids has their own account (I have a timer set so they are logged off after a set amount of time each day).
    But I can't see how to deny them access to specific applications.

5. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

Or I guess you could make an encrypted disk image (using Disk Utility), and use a password on it. Then, just take the iChat file (found in Applications) and move it in there and eject it. Then at the end of the weekend you could open the disk image and restore iChat to the App folder.

6. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

System Preferences> Accounts> Parental Controls

Tick the boxes next the application in question.
    Hmm... that lets you limit who they talk to. Not sure how to limit the apps...

7. n-abounds macrumors 6502a

n-abounds

I guess you could limit them to just talk to you (their parent...which would effectively mean nobody since no two users can be on the same computer at the same time...).

8. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Presumably if there's no one on the list, they can't talk to anybody.

There are more stringent controls near the top of the window that let you specify exactly which apps they are allowed to use. That could be overkill though if you want them to have access to almost everything.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Fast User Switching, anybody? :p

Simple solution. Move iChat into your home folder. This will work if you're the only one who needs iChat. (And you really should be using Adium, anyway, unless you desperately need the audio/video aspects of it) I think you can copy iChat into other user's home folders if they require use of it.

The kids have a restricted account, right? (Meaning, no admin access? You don't have to implement parental controls or anything, just make sure they are not administrators.) Admins have read-only access to other user's home folders (I think).