Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
How do I go about disabling local time machine backups in Lion?

sudo tmutil disablelocal

Do not know where to begin with the above command. Please help.

Devin

scenemissing

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Not sure what you mean - you have the solution already. Are you asking where to go to use the command?

Open the Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) and type it in. Since you are using sudo (runs other commands as Superuser aka Root) you will have to enter your password.

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
I understand I have the solution. Yes, I do not know where to begin with that solution. Kind of a novice here, sorry.

ncoffey

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2005
Launchpad -> Utilities -> Terminal, then type that on the command line. I'd be extremely careful with sudo. You can do serious damage with it.

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
Launchpad -> Utilities -> Terminal, then type that on the command line. I'd be extremely careful with sudo. You can do serious damage with it.

Is there another way to disable the local backups then? Like other than sudo? I tried anyway and when it prompts for my password, I can't type anything. All I'm trying to do is free up space on the MBA 13" SSD to do a final backup on Time Capsule, then restore on an 11" MBA with 128GB SSD. Very frustrating.

robots3humans0

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
London, Ontario
even though nothing shows up while you type your password in terminal it's actually still typing. so just type your password and press enter and it will take effect. That's just the way terminal handles passwords

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
even though nothing shows up while you type your password in terminal it's actually still typing. so just type your password and press enter and it will take effect. That's just the way terminal handles passwords

This is getting ridiculous, I did that, typed my password and it states Command Not Found. Maybe my MBA is jacked up. I'm using the correct password to my laptop and user account.

devinh

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Sunny Florida
This is getting ridiculous, I did that, typed my password and it states Command Not Found. Maybe my MBA is jacked up. I'm using the correct password to my laptop and user account.

It worked! Must have been completed in the "background" and I was expecting instant results. Either way, I verified under About My Mac. Thanks so much for the assistance.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.