Disable Master Password

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Jimmieboy, Dec 2, 2006.

1. Jimmieboy macrumors 6502

Oct 30, 2005
    Just wondering if there was anyway to disable the master password. I've set one up but have now decided that I no longer want it set. If I try to set it when I leave the password box blank it doesn't allow me to do that. Just wondering if anyone can help me out. Thanks!
  2. Queso macrumors G4

Mar 4, 2006
    Isn't the Master Password directly linked into the FileVault encryption? If that's the case, surely unencrypting your home folder would get rid of it.

If you're still using FileVault, I wouldn't recommend trying to remove the Master Password at all. I've a feeling OSX would need to know it to decrypt your data.
  3. ngb macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2003
    Disable Master Password: HowTo

Delete the following files and the system will think that the password was never set:

hope this helps.
  4. maflynn Moderator

Staff Member

May 3, 2009
    If you remove the master password, why bother even having your data encrypted?
  5. ngb macrumors newbie

Dec 4, 2003
    I agree with this sentiment. In fact, if you remove the master password and you lose your account password, your data is irretrievably lost.

However, when FileVault is turned on, you cannot share files from your Public or Sites folders. There may be other reasons to turn off FileVault, and once it's off it may be convenient to un-set the Master Password without having to go through the hassle of a clean install of the OS. Leaving it set and not using it seems like the best way to accidentally forget what it is.
  6. macbookpro2009 macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2009
    Changing User Name under Advanced Options: LOCKOUT

I wanted to change my user name that was initially set up for me.
    When I went ahead and clicked on the user name and with command button activated the ADVANCED OPTIONS, I went ahead and changed the user name.

Of course there was a warning there that said, 'warning you may not be able to recover your files if you do this'.

You of course ignore this, because I have in all this time of mac ownership never heard of a crash and burn of your data by the simple act of changing your user name. WRRROONNNG!

What started as a simple attempt to change the user name resulted in my being locked out of my own computer! HELLO! Anybody home? WHY APPLE? WHY???? YOU ARE SUCH A GOOD COMPUTER. WHY MUST YOU BE SO BIZARRE? I ONLY WANTED TO CHANGE THE USER NAME. WHY MUST YOU TORMENT ME LIKE THIS??? WHY APPLE? WWHHHHHYYYY??

Dude. is there any way I can recover my files.
    WTF MAN! WTF is wrong with Apple? Changing your user name will lock you out of your own computer????? DUDE. :eek:
  7. macbookpro2009 macrumors newbie

Nov 14, 2009
    Delete Master Password?

I WOULD BE HAPPY TO. But how on earth do you do that?
  8. josjoslyn macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2008
    Unlocking Mac OSX with Admin ID Issues

Try the following :

Restart system - hold down Command-S to boot into Single User Mode(SUM) - this is the 'non-GUI' Command Line Interface and follow the solution that best fits your issue :

To Reset Admin Account
    At the prompt, type the following, exactly as shown and press enter after each command listed. (case-sensitive)
    /sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
    /sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
    rm /var/db/.applesetupdone [Enter]
    reboot [Enter]

This will restart the system as though the initial setup has not been run previously, follow the prompts to create a new 'Admin ID(User & Password) ** DO NOT USE THE PREVIOUS ID(or similar). When the system restarts after new ID has been created, the original Admin ID will still exist, but the new one will be the 'default Admin'. You 'may' be able to access all the data for the previous ID. If you can move it to another location, and you can then safely delete the old account. ** NOTE - It will not reset the Master Password

To Changing Admin Password
    An alternate way is to change the Administrative password from SUM. Once you are booted into SUM, and are staring at the prompt, type in the following commands (in order), and hit enter after each one. Wait until the prompt re-appears before typing in the next command.
    /sbin/fsck -y [Enter]
    /sbin/mount -uaw [Enter]
    sh /etc/rc
    passwd username

Where "username" is the administrative account's username. You will be prompted to enter, and then confirm, a new password. As you type the password and confirmation, no characters will appear on the screen -- not even asteriks. This is fine, ignore it and keep typing.

More info and details can be found here :