Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
I've always wondered if there was some way to disable my 'book from sleeping when it's closed. I'm assuming that this might be a heat issue, in which case it probably isn't possible, or if possible, not a good idea. Anyone know?

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
Well you can run it with the lid closed with a mouse, keyboard, and monitor attached, but outside of that I don't know of any way to run your 'book closed.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
Re: Disable PowerBook/iBook Sleep With Lid Closing?

Originally posted by LimeLite
I've always wondered if there was some way to disable my 'book from sleeping when it's closed. I'm assuming that this might be a heat issue, in which case it probably isn't possible, or if possible, not a good idea. Anyone know?
Depends on whether you have a PowerBook or iBook.

With a PowerBook (at least the 15"), if you have a keyboard and monitor plugged in, you can run the PB with the lid closed. I've seen it done that way at the Apple store.

With an iBook, that feature is disabled, most likely for heat reason. You used to be able to close the lid and have the iBook still run, as long as the AV port was connected to a TV (for watching DVDs). But they disabled that feature with OS 9.2.1 and OS X 10.0.4. Believe me, you don't want the iBook on and the lid closed when you're watching a DVD. Hot isn't the word for it.

LimeLite

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 20, 2003
Los Angeles, Ca
Yeah, I'm not sure if it was a good or bad idea to put the vents in a position that they'd literally be completely covered when the lid is closed.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
There was once an extension that one could load call insomnia for computers that booted into OS 9. I think I loaded it on my iTang, so I will look for it. But that was OS 9, and the purpose was so that people could use their iBooks as CD players in their backpacks.

As for smart, no. Even on the older iBooks, there was considerable heat buildup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.