Disable Voicemail button on ios 6.0.1 w/o JB

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by liteshow, Jan 7, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I do not use voicemail but find myself occasionally hitting the voicemail button my accident. the phone is on a prepaid plan, so I get charged for every outgoing call including voicemail access.

I searched around and found that it is possible to disable/remove the voicemail button in the built-in phone app in IOS 4, or by jail breaking and using the voicemailblock app.

However, I do not want to jailbreak and am using ios 6.0.1 on my 4s. would I still be able to disable/remove the voicemail button, or re-assigned the voicemail to a different number?

2. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

3. thread starter macrumors regular

That's what I figured. Wished at least I could at least change the voicemail number to something else other than the default.

4. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

I hear you. Its a pain.
    I wonder if you can edit some apn settings for the voicemail number that it dials out to retrieve the messages?

5. thread starter macrumors regular

For a non JAIL Broken device, all I can think of is iPhone Configuration Utility. Went though all the settings, but there is no option to change the voice mail phone number. :(

6. macrumors 65816

You can.

Verizon *71(phonenumberforvoicemail)
    ATT- *5005*86*[YOUR VM NUMBER]#

Might have to do it from another phone and than swap sim back. But it does work on Verizon at least.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

I am on Speakout 711 pay as you go in Canada. They use the Rogers Network.

8. macrumors 65816

mhmm did you try calling CS? I know here in the states they can change the voicemail forward number as well.

9. thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I could try that. I would have to change the number to a number that does not cost anything - like their 611 number for example - if they would allow that.