Disabling a single key?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Thomas Harte, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Thomas Harte macrumors 6502

Hi, I have a titanitum g4 powerbook. Recently the keyboard has developed a fault - it constantly thinks the return key is pressed. I've disabled key repeat in the system preferences which makes the machine almost usable, but still any slight delay in my typing seems to give the machine a chance to register a fresh press of that key. Is there any software way I can just disable it?

2. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

You could always figure out why it thinks it's constantly pressed. Is it visibly stuck? You could always ask Apple to look at it...

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I agree that fixing the keyboard would be the best option. But if that is not a possibility for whatever reason... (did you look for a new kb on eBay?)

There are some keyboard re-mapping tools. The most powerful one I know about is called uControl, but it does not work in Tiger. In case you are running Panther, though, you can use it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, definitely check the keyboard first, to make sure there's nothing stuck underneath the RETURN key or something. Also, if it's a problem with the firmware (unlikely), a PMU reset may help. :)

5. Thomas Harte thread starter macrumors 6502

I've lifted the keyboard out and there is nothing visibly wrong with it. So I guess it is likely to be a contact problem. My next step is to disconnect it entirely and perhaps try some WD40 or something like that. However, this is a very early titanium powerbook (667Mhz, non-DVI) and coconut battery reports it as 57 months old, so I suspect Apple won't have the parts and in any case will want to charge me quite a bit for any potential fix. And that's after having managed to get it to an Apple representative (I live in an extremely rural area).

Alternatively, is there any way to completely disable the internal keyboard? I tried connecting an external one but then OS X just read input from both. I should have said, but I'm on 10.4.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You might be able to physically disconnect the keyboard cable. I'm not certain whether this won't have dire effects on other aspects of the machine's stability though, so do it at your own risk. :eek: