Disabling Firefox back/forward from horizontal scrolling...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by spaceballl, Feb 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Hi there,

So I have recently enabled two finger scrolling on my iBook G4. In theory, it works perfectly. I love it in Safari. The only problem is that I hate Safari. So in Firefox, unless i slowly perfectly move my fingers left and right, there is of course some left/right movage.. which causes the browser to navigate to the previous/next page. I understand this feature for random mice w/ horizontal scroll wheels, but I would like to disable this in firefox to make two finger scrolling more useful. Ideas?

-Kevin

2. macrumors member

It's quite easy to set Firefox to have the same horizontal scrolling behavior as Safari
    Just go type
    about:config
    in the address bar. This will bring up a large list of all the user preference settings. There's a site on mozilla here: http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
    that explains most but not all of them. You can filter to just the ones you need by typing "horizscroll" in the filter box. The one you need to adjust is mousewheel.horizscroll.withnokey.action
    which should be set to 0 (click on the number to modify its setting). The options are:
    * 0 : Scroll document by X lines
    * 1 : Scroll document by one page
    * 2 : Move back/forward in history
    * 3 : Make text larger/smaller

so it's probably set to 2 by default on yours, like mine. Hope that helps. Made firefox much more pleasant for me!

3. thread starter macrumors 68030

spaceballl

I don't know why... but for some reason, I thought nobody would have the answer to my question... thanks so much, ephramz!!!
    -Kevin

4. macrumors newbie

update

the new names are:

browser.gesture.swipe.left
    browser.gesture.swipe.right

set them to an empty string (delete what is there)