Disabling iSight's "mirror" effect?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by DeadSirius, Dec 31, 2006.

1. DeadSirius macrumors member

A friend and I want to play cards with our iSights, which would mean that each of our screens would have to appear exactly the same. The problem is that the iSight, for convenience' sake, shows my camera image flopped as a mirror image as opposed to how it appears on my friend's screen. Eg.: If I hold up my left hand, my screen shows me appearing to hold up my right hand. This obviously aids me if I need to straighten my hair and such, but for the game we want to play, it mucks things up big time.

I can't find anything in iChat AV that turns this option off. Is there a way to do it?

2. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

This program can flip your images. It's really a nifty little thing to have.

3. DeadSirius thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't seem to address what I'm talking about. The "preview" image that my iSight generates on *my* screen is a mirror of the actual image on the *receiver's* screen. I don't want it to do that. I want to preview the actual un-mirrored image that the other guy sees. I want WYSIWYG. Is this not possible?

4. seh80 macrumors 6502

seh80

Did you try the free trial? It can rotate and/or mirror your image however you want it...

That is the only way I could think of to do it. There don't seem to be too many options for manipulating the isight images. I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help!

5. cube macrumors G4

iSight does not flip the image. iChat does.

You will have to look for another video conferencing software that doesn't do this or gives you the option to disable the effect.

6. taytho macrumors 6502

why does it do this? is there some sort of a benefit to it, it just seems a wee bit annoying really.

7. joby866 macrumors member

joby866

Well, Its not an effect. And I dont think it's done by iChat. If you think, its how the camera see's you. The Camera is looking at you so it will be the 'other' way around, 'flipped'.

I think this will be exactly the same in any video conferencing app

8. Montecore macrumors newbie

I've used other video conferencing software (live.yahoo.com) and the mirror effect is not present.

I agree that the mirror effect in the preview/monitor video in iChat and Photo Booth is very annoying.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

resurrection! any way to disable this? i mean, even my photo booth photos come out backwards. it's annoying as hell when i'm wearing a shirt with writing on it..

10. Montecore macrumors newbie

Photo booth has an option to "auto flip" the pictures it takes so that fixes the problem there. It's been a long while since I've used ichat to video conference but last I looked there was no option to disable the mirror image. The problem doesn't exist in 3rd party apps. (I typically use cam twist and ustream.)

11. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

thanks, i'll take a look at those applications. i don't do video chat often but it bugs me when i do use it. plus, i'll have a baby in the next few days, and I imagine i'll be doing much more video chat with my folks in the future. they'll just want to sit and stare at the kid, lol.

12. Pixellated macrumors 65816

For Photo Booth, hit CMD+F and it will flip the photo/video.

13. artiebob, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012

artiebob macrumors newbie

Try this

You might be able to play with one of the defaults. Something like this may work...
    defaults write -g AppleDisplayScaleFactor -1

14. ray648 macrumors regular

This is definitely a software issue, not a hardware one. If you capture the video feed yourself using the api it is not mirrored. Best thing to do is find some software that works the way you want.

15. simonguest macrumors newbie

I had exactly this same issue when presenting recently. I wrote an app called QCamera that supports both mirrored and normal modes. You can find it for free on the Mac App Store. Hope this helps.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id598853070?mt=12

16. flynz4 macrumors 68040

Without mirror mode... people trying to use it as a mirror get undesired results... like a lipstick trail from their mouth to their ear.

The real question is: "why don't you get the option to choose?"

/Jim