disadvantages of one ppc and one intel?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by thumb, Jun 4, 2006.

1. thumb macrumors 6502

hi all,

i have two computers, a .867ghz tibook, and a dual 1.8ghz G5.

after the new chips come out, i plan on replacing ONE of these two (cant afford both).

are there any obvious disadvantages of running one ppc arch. and one intel, other than of course the new UB programs i will need?

2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

I can't see any disadvantages to that. I'm assuming each will have its own copy of applications, so there should be no problem there. I would get rid of the TiBook if I were you, and upgrade to a MacBook or something along those lines. Just because the G5 will still be plenty of power for years to come.

3. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Um.. applications copied from the PPC to Intel will be a little slower because they run in rosetta. That is the only thing I can think of and it is a problem with Intel in general, not of having both.

I would say that having both is an advantage. You can run anything that way. If you want to run OS 9 apps or non UB games then you use the PPC. Any UB programs will work on either so that isn't a problem. Also, files are files and can be transfered as easily as PPC to PPC. There won't be any communication issues either.

In short, there are none.

4. Apple Corps macrumors 68020

We currently run G3 / G4 / G5 / Intel duo core based Macs - no major issues in moving things around. Our biggest issue has been the lack of F4M for Intel based Macs - there is a workaround for that also. We will be glad when this transition is over - BUT - we will still be running lots of different processor based Macs for years to come.

5. thumb thread starter macrumors 6502

great, glad to hear it. looks like i will be first in line for one of those merom mbps then.

6. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Keep the G5 and add an Intel, then you will have the best of the best ;)

Not a single PPC app you shouldn't be able to run.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Zork Grand Inquisitor :p

8. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

I kept my TiBook just incase there is an app that doesnt work on Classic, yea such things do exist.

9. garethh macrumors regular

I've had no problems so far. The only PPC app I really need is Word and I often forget it's not a UB when I'm using it on the MacBook. I think it actually runs faster!

The other day I was waiting for it to load up on the iMac G5 and thought it was a bit slow because of Rosetta and then I realised it was running natively!