Disappearing hard drive space...any ideas?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by HXGuy, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. macrumors 68000

So some reason, which drives me insane, my hard drive (boot drive) runs out of space every time I use the computer.

Let me explain...if I reboot the computer, it shows ~21GB available. I open some programs, start doing some work, and it starts to go down. By the end of the day, I'm down to under 1GB and a lot of the times I get warning about being out of memory and I have to restart the computer to free up space on the hard drive.

I don't know if I have some settings all screwed up or if it's a virus or what.
    It's a Mac Pro with 16GB of RAM, 120GB SSD boot drive and a 2TB internal HDD for storage.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. ChristianJapan, Jul 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 11, 2012

macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

Sounds like the programs you are using creating a bunch of temporary files. I recently installed a nice tool daisyDisk (from AppStore) which shows you graphically your file usage.
    This might help you to get more info.

What programs you use would also help us to help.

Same as thread http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15230521#post15230521. ? Maybe close this one.

4. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thank you for the suggestion on DaisyDisk. I downloaded it, ran it, and here is what I found...

[​IMG]

A huge part is being taken up by "private". I reset the computer, which reduced "private" from 17.6GB to 1.8GB.

[​IMG]

By double clicking on the "private", it took me deeper and deeper into where the files are located until I got to the end.

What are these files? Can they be deleted?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

get us an image when GB are occupied. don't just delete.

6. macrumors 6502

Didn't want to make excess threads on similar topics, so I figure I'll piggyback the OP here and share my question.

First, I know I have a ton of space available... I'm just wondering if this is normal.

So my "Other" in the Storage tab of "About This Mac" is over 15 GB. I posted that and a couple of screen shots from Daisy Disk.

Thanks for any help. Hopefully someone has an answer to this!

Attached Files:

7. simsaladimbamba

Post #2 or What is this "Other" in the storage tab? What is eating up my space? by theSeb

8. thread starter macrumors 68000

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.