Disappearing keys on the iBook G4 Laptop

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Lexbase, Oct 18, 2004.

1. Lexbase macrumors newbie

Sep 24, 2004
    There are reports of disappearing keys on some iBook G4 Laptop.

In my case, I have had the keyboard replaced four times in 8 months by Apple, free of charge, but not free of inconvenience.

Our office has several Apple laptops and stand-alones, but only the new iBook G4 has this issue.

Here are others who have reported the same problem:

Anyone else seeing this issue?

If so, it could be that a recall may be required, or a class action.

Please feel free to post comments here or e-mail me directly at Lexbase@canimmigrate.com

2. Studawg7 macrumors regular

May 15, 2004
    Cville, VA
    I have had no problem with my G4 ibook, 12 in model.
  3. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    I had a small problem with the KB, I was writing an E-mail, and the "S" went off, Apple sent me a new KB, free of charge.

Attached Files:

4. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    I've had my G4 iBook for a year, the only key thats beginning to wear off is the N key. Out of all the keys to wear off, I wonder why its the N key... :confused:
  5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

Oct 8, 2002
    The Bamboo Forest
    As long as the E key doesn't wear off too... then you'd have to call apple and say:

"My N, E keys are gone!"

"Sir, there are no any keys."

Ba dum dum.

Okay but really... my iBook G4 has been typed on for about 11 months now and not a single key is wearing off. People need to chill with throwing around class action law suits...
  6. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Sep 25, 2003
    Keys that go blank in the night

The keycaps printing on my G4/800 iBook is wearing off at a fast rate. It started with the 'N' key but a number of others are suffering too.

I'm a bit of a heavy-handed two-fingered typist, but even so, my Apple Extended II, which I use on my G4 in the office and is now around 10 years old has all the key legends still in place.

I was waiting for a while to get the iBook's keyboard replaced in the hope that Apple realize this is an issue and get better screen printing!
  7. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

Jan 6, 2004
    Raleigh, NC
    So yours started with the N key too? Them darned N keys!