Disappearing login items

Discussion in 'OS X Mountain Lion (10.8)' started by badman89, Apr 10, 2013.

1. macrumors regular

I'm facing a rather frustrating problem that I am unable to diagnose. My login items list keeps changing randomly when I shut down / restart my computer. Specifically the app "Bettertouchtool" keeps disappearing from the list while "iTuneshelper" keeps appearing on this list no matter how many times I change it.

Thanks very much in advance to anybody who can diagnose this problem for me.

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are more places to look for apps that launch on startup:

Check the following locations for apps that automatically launch on startup and delete any you don't need/want:
    • System Preferences > Accounts > yourusername > Login Items
      (Lion and ML users: System Preferences > Users & Groups > yourusername > Login Items)

• /Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• ~/Library/LaunchAgents/
      (Lion and ML users: In Finder, click Go > Go to Folder > then enter the path above)

• /Library/StartupItems/

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, this is procedure I normally follow to add / delete login items. The problem I'm trying to point out is that this list is changing automatically when I shut down / restart the computer.

These folders are empty!

This folder has a couple of items, but these are unrelated to the problem at hand.

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The last post here may help: iTunesHelper keeps appearing in Login Items
    As for BTT, check the preferences in the app.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks so much! I just checked the preferences for BTT and it is not set to launch at startup. I didn't realize that it could automatically remove itself from my login items.

6. macrumors newbie

Yes, the same thing has been happening to me. I believe it happened to me with Lion, then with Mountain Lion, and now again with Mavericks. It's not EVERY time I restart my Mac, but often enough that it is annoying.

Any solutions?