Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I try to keep all my posts short and to the point :), but will elaborate on story if needed.
Often that makes sense, sometimes (like in this case) it ends up only creating unnecessary confusion unfortunately.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
In your first post you claim to generally get $100-200profit. In your second post you're not.

You said you get a minimum of $100 profit 90% of the time whenever you sell a product. So, which of the above is actually true? These two posts are highly contradicting and one of them sounds like a fabrication to me.

The difference between bidders on Ebay verses a set offered amount. I listed a month ago a used Sony Playstation 4 (retail value at gamester/Sony..etc at $399) at $0.99 and finished at $550. As I mentioned in my reply I am not just giving my friend a single iPhone but rather a bundle. In the 23 years I've been alive and selling to friends/family I have never asked a price im interested in but rather "heres what im selling what are are willing to offer". With the iPhone, cases, Screen protector and Watch bands he valued the iPhone between $550 - $600 and the bands combined around $315. The Link bracelet is unopened in the seal, same as the Milanese. (I accidentally bought two of each back in June...long story)

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany
The difference between bidders on Ebay verses a set offered amount. I listed a month ago a used Sony Playstation 4 (retail value at gamester/Sony..etc at $399) at $0.99 and finished at $550.

Do you have a link to the eBay auction? That's an impressive accomplishment.

As I mentioned in my reply I am not just giving my friend a single iPhone but rather a bundle. In the 23 years I've been alive and selling to friends/family I have never asked a price im interested in but rather "heres what im selling what are are willing to offer". With the iPhone, cases, Screen protector and Watch bands he valued the iPhone between $550 - $600 and the bands combined around $315. The Link bracelet is unopened in the seal, same as the Milanese. (I accidentally bought two of each back in June...long story)

That's hardly a profit, though. You said you made a 200 USD profit. If you're adding all those extras, then why state you're making a profit when you're not?

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
I always give it to my brother. My phones are in mint condition and they last 4 years easy. 2 years with me, 2 years with my brother. He has my 4S and it still works fine for his purpose.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Do you have a link to the eBay auction? That's an impressive accomplishment.

That's hardly a profit, though. You said you made a 200 USD profit. If you're adding all those extras, then why state you're making a profit when you're not?

I have no control over how much a bidder offers. Some of the products I sell are sealed/unopened and do make profit from them. I sold a Blackberry Passport for $395.00. priced at $499.00 by blackberry and Amazon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackBerry-...ked-Smartphone-Used-Accessories-/391219879474.

I sold a Rolex Oyster-Perpetual DateJust Superlative Chronometer Watch with No Band for $1,475.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/391035933375?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=391035933375&_rdc=1

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
where did you get that price from?? the full price of an iPhone 6 plus 128 gig is only $949 even with Ca sales tits its 1032
i wouldn't want to be your friend anymore. maybe that was a launch day deal. when they were not in short suppy. and not a recent trasaction

are you steve jobs???? you remind me of that story where steve jobs lied to Woz about how much money he got from breakout and he spent it on himself

your 15 % markup is too small. you should be like 7-eleven and up it to 30 %
California sales...what? Uh...you've either got an interesting typo there or California is more swinging than I thought.

nox5

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2013
Whoever sells to Gazelle must be really lazy or likes to throw money away

StarShot

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2014
Ebay is your second best option. I always start my products at $0.99. 90% of the the time I get $100-$200 profit from what I originally purchased. I'm selling my 6 Plus to my friend for $1,200 compared to the 128GB full price of $1,026
My eBay suggestion is to do a 3 day auction unless you have a very attractive "buy-it-now" price. However, last year I got mildly screwed selling with a buy it now price. A Nigerian or Nigerian-like scammer "bought" my phone, thus taking it off the market for a few days. I did finally cancel his order and relist, but I think it cost me about $100 less with the next buyer.

Reason for 3 day sale (unless you're brave and go with a one dayer), is that you phone moves faster to the top of the list where all the late action is.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
My eBay suggestion is to do a 3 day auction unless you have a very attractive "buy-it-now" price. However, last year I got mildly screwed selling with a buy it now price. A Nigerian or Nigerian-like scammer "bought" my phone, thus taking it off the market for a few days. I did finally cancel his order and relist, but I think it cost me about $100 less with the next buyer.

Reason for 3 day sale (unless you're brave and go with a one dayer), is that you phone moves faster to the top of the list where all the late action is.

That is true. I've always done a 7 day to have more viewers/watchers on my products and possibly more bids once it closes. I have had a buy now option, but its all been bids.

z31fanatic

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2015
Mukilteo, WA USA
I have no control over how much a bidder offers. Some of the products I sell are sealed/unopened and do make profit from them. I sold a Blackberry Passport for $395.00. priced at $499.00 by blackberry and Amazon.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BlackBerry-...ked-Smartphone-Used-Accessories-/391219879474.

I sold a Rolex Oyster-Perpetual DateJust Superlative Chronometer Watch with No Band for $1,475.00 http://www.ebay.com/itm/391035933375?ru=http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=391035933375&_rdc=1

So you sold a $500 item for $400. Where is the profit on that?

And link to the PS4 sale otherwise you're lying.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC

That's why you do "immediate payment required"

Auctions are an exercise in weekly "unpaid item disputes" and re-listing on eBay with all of the scammers without paypal accounts who inflate the bidding prices with no intention of ever paying.

Buy it Now "Immediate Payment Required" usually weeds them all out since they actually have to pay to remove the listing from eBay.

sartrekid

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2014
Germany

Did you not sell the Playstation 4? I thought you said you sold it for $550 on eBay a month ago? The transaction isn't to be found on your list of sold items.

Definitely solid deals you got out of the BB and the Rolex. But, you still made a loss and not a $100-200 profit as stated by you earlier. You said you got $1,200 for the iPhone 6 alone and later corrected it by saying that you're getting only around $500-600 for the actual phone and the rest for other products which doesn't translate to profits, either. Your first post stated that you made around $600 in profits from the iPhone itself - when in reality you made a $400 loss - and generally get at least $100 in profits 90% of the time when selling items on eBay which isn't reflected in any of the items you listed except for the Playstation for which you haven't provided a link. I'd have been interested in seeing the Playstation listing as, if true, must have had a very powerful sales pitch, one that has made a buyer wanting to pay a premium of $150 more than he would have to shell out for a brand new Playstation which, to be frank, I find hard to believe, unless you provide a link to prove that it's actually true. With such a high profit margin, I'd hire you in an instant to sell my items in the future.

Anyhow, I hope you understand where the confusion by people comes from.

Last edited:
Reactions: Demo Kit

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 13, 2012
A month or so ago when I sold my 6+ to Gazelle, they were giving $430 for a "good" condition. Right now it's dropped to $355. The prices are coming down quickly, not a good time to sell.

I ended up selling at around $500 cash via craigslist. My only other options were selling for $600ish on eBay (and paying $100 in fees/shipping) or selling at $355 to Gazelle. My phone was in "good" condition (one minor dent). iPhone 6 Pluses were prone to bends and dents - I hope the stronger aluminum in the new phones prevent that.

The full price and selling game doesn't seem to be worth it unless you really do it as a hobby. Back to contracts for me.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
you still made a loss and not a $100-200 p

thats not all of the items i have sold on Ebay, only the links I saved. I don't know how to find items past 30 days. Ebay only shows items up to 60 Days It was sold last week of July. I didn't save the finished item page. It way my mistake for not including the bundle in my initial post and apologize to all who now see me as heartless individual (I am not). I would never ask $1,200 for a product a year later that is actually around $445-$500 as of right now before next weeks announcements. It was a Black PS4, two controllers, Cables with GTA V box, COD AW, Watch Dogs, Madden 25, Madden 15, Saints Row IV, Diablo 3, Tomb Raider, Killzone shadow falls, Shadows of Mordor, The Crew, Last of US, Witcher 3: collectors Edition. I know that a persons entire life can be basically faked on the internet from the name to social security. Im not one of those people. I'm not lying about this.

Last edited:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I can't believe I'm going to have to sell my like new mint condition 6plus Verizon 128gb for $620. That's a drop off $380 including tax. iPhone are not a what they used to be.

gabo864

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2012
I can't believe I'm going to have to sell my like new mint condition 6plus Verizon 128gb for $620. That's a drop off $380 including tax. iPhone are not a what they used to be.

Where are you selling it?

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
Swappa is a great site to sell. Currently the 6 Plus 128GB can sell between $610-$750. That is if it's mint condition.

TxExCxH

macrumors regular
May 16, 2014
Chicago
Ebay is your second best option. I always start my products at $0.99. 90% of the the time I get $100-$200 profit from what I originally purchased. I'm selling my 6 Plus to my friend for $1,200 compared to the 128GB full price of $1,026

Wow, i feel bad for your "friend".

fishmd

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2008
Sunny South Florida
The nonsense about getting the money back you paid is not the current trend. This is going back to the old days when people paid SUBSIDIZED prices for their phones. You would pay say 300$ or 400$ for the phone and then a year later, would sell it for the same price, if not a bit more. Make a bit of "profit" and then use another upgrade or some people would even set up a new line of service, to get the next subsidized phone. What nobody realized however was that they were getting robbed blind from their cell phone carriers with the rest of the cost of the phone being built into the two year contracts.

Now that most cell companies are out of the subsidized phone game, you end up seeing the full price of the phone and paying that, either in monthly installments, or up front, till it is fully paid off. So when you sell it, you do so at a loss! It will pretty much always be at a loss. That is the way it goes. Granted, they do hold value a little better than the top tier Android phones do, but speaking from experience here, not by very much. Not any more.

MacAndMic

macrumors 6502
Jun 4, 2009
Any time you go over $400 on an iPhone it gets difficult. Advertise it at $350 and you will sell it in a heart beat. Even though you may have the top of the line in memory and size, people will not jump at it. They will buy a 16gb at $350 before they spend $400 on a 128gb even though we know the price gets much higher at 128gb....we are the "suckers" that pay the excess at launch.

It is unfortunately very much like used cars, a base model gets you "X" and a loaded model gets you "X" and an insignificant little but we all like the creature comforts and they know it. We get little return for those options. Though we are now getting use to non-subsizied pricing, the used market is not absorbing it yet.

I am currently trying to get rid of my "Like New" Unlocked 6 64gb at $500 with all original packaging and having a difficult time in the Philadelphia market. Plenty of offers from people for $100 less and the caveat of providing my paypal address and having the "associate" pick it up. LOL.....I have to admit, there is a certain side of me that enjoys messing with those guys but when the fun and games are done, it is still not sold. I don't feel a mad rush to lower the price, I know it will sell somewhere in the $400's but if I want to sell it today, I have to take the beating.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
Unfortunately, Gazelle, eBay and Craigslist seem to be pricing my phone from $500 to $600 when i paid $850 for it. I plan on buying the 6S or 6S+ next week, so I will really just be funding my upgrade. In addition, AT&T doesn't have discounted plans for off contract users. I may even just do AT&T Next.

$600 is 70% of the original value of you phone, even as a new model is about to debut. You're disappointed by this??

Reactions: bhayes444
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.