Disappointed in Tiger Mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Flynnstone, May 16, 2005.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Is there anyone else that is disappointed in Mail app in Tiger?

I am. The toolbar took a big step backwards. Its harder to read and smaller "targets". Whom ever is the head of this app needs to read "The Humane Interface" by (the late) Jef Raskin.

Another bug is positioning within a message. I have a folder that get automagically filled by a mail rule. The headers of the mail looks similar to other message (a email digest). When I scroll down in a message, then delete the message. The next message it displays, it has moved to near the bottom of the message. Annoying. :(

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I agree about the toolbars - they are definitely a step backwards compared to the previous version of Mail. I haven't experienced the other issues you mention, though.

3. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mail's still better overall than the previous version IMO.
    It's saving grace without a doubt is the syncing feature in .Mac (i know it's not actually a feature of mail). Before tiger, i didn't actually open mail on the machine i used less, for fear things would be lost. now they sync perfectly.

4. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

mail works wonderfully well for me. i'm impressed. I kinda like the toolbar to be honest. The mail in panther didn't look very professional. this one does. i'm thinking that the 10.4.1 update will fix a lot of users issues with bugs in Mail. though you'll have to stick with the buttons and layout. i'm a big fan though. I was pondering buying Mailsmith but decided against it.

5. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I've got to say the toolbar has grown on me. I'm really liking it now, it feels more professional and a lot crisper than Panther's.

If you really want Panther's mail icons back, just post and I'll upload the necessary icons with instructions.

Attached Files:

6. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

The change in toolbars took me about a 2-3 days to get used to. I don't really feel strongly about it one way or another.

I'm just glad that the httpmail plug-in has been updated to work with Tiger. I can access my Hotmail via Mail again. Although the option to synchronize with the Hotmail servers doesn't seem to be working - after selecting that option, whenever I come back it has changed back to "leave messages on server". Still better than using the web interface. I'm slowly transitioning to Gmail, but I have so many net accounts setup with my Hotmail account which I have had for about ten years now.

Overall, I like Tiger Mail better if for nothing else it handles HTML mail properly.

7. russed macrumors 68000

russed

i must say i like mail far more. its so much more 'normal' to use with the toolbar and im rather used to the new buttons at the top. mail 2 get a big thumbs up from me!

8. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    It grew on me a little more once I customised it and added/rearranged a few of the icons to fill up the empty space on the left which made it look a little unbalanced.

9. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

rearranging greatly improved the feel of the new mail app for me, but I guess I'm also one of the few that liked it before rearranging it.

10. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

I agree that there are many improvements in Tiger Mail, but the Taskbar is worse. The icons in Panther are bigger and more distinct. Tiger has some wasted space on the left for some reason.

Attached Files:

11. TreeHugger macrumors 6502

you can get rid of that wasted space if you go to customize toolbar and drag the removable space icon off of the bar.

12. gamestriker macrumors regular

I've used both Panther Mail and Tiger Mail, and I actually like Tiger Mail a lot better. It looks far more professional and the toolbar is just fine with me, especially how customizable it is.

13. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

My biggest dislike of the Tiger mail toolbar is the strange button groupings. I don't mind the style as long as all buttons are offered individually, like all of Apple's other applications.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    If you go to customize, you can get rid of all the groupings and use single buttons.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Some of the buttons aren't available individually. That's strange, inflexible, and inconsistent.

16. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Bingo !
    Have some Microsoft programmers infiltrated Apple?

17. Crunchy macrumors member

Are there any clear improvements in Tiger mail? I think it looks better over all, and smart mailboxes are cool, but is there anything else that maybe I'm missing?

18. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

tiger mail

when i first opened, i just hated it. it botched the import, tool-bar was a disaster and i just hated it. so much that i used cagefighter.

2 weeks later it's grown on me, and after i worked out the kinks i find it totally better than panther mail. i've even gone back to original tool bar, though i like dav's tool bar...looks nice :)

19. brendan67 macrumors member

brendan67

thanks

thanks for that mail tip did'nt know you could get rid of empty
    spaces

kind regards :)

20. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Actually, you can do that in all applications that use the Apple standard toolbar and customize toolbar widgets. Knowing this comes in handy sometimes.