Disappointed.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ClarkeB, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ClarkeB macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

I thought it was going to be so great downloading "Housewives" and "Lost"...well I downloaded the pilot of "Housewives" and am APPALLED! Why?

It is cropped! Why would I pay $2 for a cropped version of a TV show? I really don't think it is that hard just to sell the original widescreen version! Too bad...I for one won't be buying ANY cropped television from iTunes.

(On a positive note, however, Housewives downloaded in under 10 minutes).

2. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

3. qzak macrumors 6502

in HD they are

4. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

Last I checked, NTSC != HD

5. atraininc macrumors newbie

I am only disappointed because I just bought a black ipod nano! If I would have only known!

6. blodwyn macrumors 65816

But I believe the new iPod display isn't widescreen, so it's either crop or reduce the size of the picture and have a black band top and bottom

7. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

No, they don't look widescreen, but I'm sure I was reading in the live updating they are, (16:9 ratio, which is widescreen).

8. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

One thing I don't like that I just noticed actually, the headphone socket it now on the right hand side rather than dead centre. I like it sitting there, it gives it a proper iPod feel, whereas the mini, nano and now this one all don't. Minor change, but it all counts.

9. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

Some are - All of NBC's drama's are widescreen, even on non-HD televisions. They're simply letterboxed. The actual video, though is 16x9.

10. ClarkeB thread starter macrumors 6502

ClarkeB

Yeah...thank god they letterbox it so that when their digital channel is ****ed up (which is like all the time in my area), you can use the zoom button (or if you don't have the digital channel). See...I'm pretty sure all of NBC's HD shows are broadcast letterbox (SNL is and Medium is and I think Surface is) which is great because they allow the total usage of the frame, while on HD shows on ABC, Fox and CBS, they don't really take advantage of the entire frame because they have to crop it for analouge TV.

Oh and a funny thing about widescreen is that SNL's sets weren't built to be shown widescreen, so in the first episode of this season, they had a bunch of problems keeping the music/"subway" set out of the shot of the monolouge area set (and not showing the offstage area).

heh.

11. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

two questions about the black ipods. Do you think the headphones they come with are still white? I assume so because it is such an apple thing. and 2. Do they scratch or show fingerprints more than the white ones? I'd appreciate some help!! Thanks!