Disassemble MacBook Pro LCD

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by srandall, Jul 23, 2006.

1. srandall macrumors newbie

Can anyone advise me on how to disassemble my MacBook Pro LCD.

This week a tiny black insect decided to take a stroll around my laptop and then somehow managed to squeeze between the casing and screen before proceeding to die behind the LCD. Bloody thing! I now have a black oval shaped mark behind the LCD which is incredibly frustrating.

So, I've been following the instructions on iFixit.com (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/85.1.0.html), however they fall short of explaining how to remove the LCD from the casing.

Can anyone help me? Please tell me the screen isn't stuck to the casing with glue. Any advise on how to remove the dead insect would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

~Stewart

2. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

Yes i would be interested on seeing what it's like in there, if you ever do open it, please post pictures

(to see if there is room for a magnet like device i could put in so i can put my remote up there)

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

magnet?
    yeah, the magnet's built-in.. you can stick the remote up there...

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

KT magnets are up there for the MacBook, but not the MBP. Right MBP owners?

B

5. baxterbrittle macrumors regular

That seems strange? Is it a 17"? Anyway the LCD and backlight are part of the same assembly and I can't see an insect getting between the two. If the bug is behind the backlight in theory you wouldn't even be able to see it. If it is in between the LCD and backlight I wish you the very best of luck because getting that out without breaking anything will be impossible. At that point take it to a service centre - they don't need to know it's a bug just tell them it's a black spot - they'll replace the screen and no ones the wiser. If it's a 17" you can do that anyway because they won't even take apartr the display assembly - thery just replace the whole thing (once again no one the wiser).

6. luckyluke macrumors newbie

baxterbrittle, this is the bad news I was afraid to hear! I have the same problem as srandall and I can assure you that the bug is behind the LCD because first, I can only see its shadow and then when some text is over it, my eyes very clearly spot that the shadow is slightly beneath the text. That actually create a 3D effect, like the text is floating in the air.

The little bug seemed to have difficulties to move around and I could really see it walking around some invisible obstacle: you just confirmed my feelings that the backlight and the LCD are tightly assembled together. Let's hope my service centre will show some sympathy…

7. generik macrumors 601

generik

Best not to risk it yourself, send it to the service centre while at the same time shouting something about "chinese bugs" and how you will notify the local quarantine office, they'd sit up :p

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

That may work ;)

9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

I'd take it in to the closest apple store. Even if its not covered I bet the geniuses would think its funny and take pity on you. Or they may just act like the bitchy, overworked a-holes like at my apple store. Except for the guy in the kilt. Hes nice sometimes. And even if he's not, he's wearing a kilt, which makes up for being crabby.

10. DaveP macrumors 6502

DaveP

So you think it's stuck between the backlight and LCD? I've taken apart an iBook LCD and would assume the MacBook is pretty similar. It's not super tough, but it certainly isn't the easiest thing... And you would likely void your warranty I would think. If going to an Apple Store isn't convenient, you might be best off just calling and seeing what they think.

11. luckyluke macrumors newbie

Would you mind elaborating on the procedure? I may not do it myself but the more ammunitions for my negotiation with my apple dealer, the better!

Thanks!

12. offwidafairies macrumors 6502a

offwidafairies

same problem

i have a 17in MBP with a dog hair (i think) behind the screen. it is quite annoying. my mbp is no longer under warranty. any advice?