"Disc burner or software not found"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bleek, Sep 10, 2005.

1. bleek macrumors newbie

my iTunes Cd burning application or whatever isnt working. it says "Disc burner or software not found" and still doesnt work even with Patchburn. what should I do?

2. jim. macrumors 6502

First Question: Is it an Apple supported CD-R (or DVD-R) drive?

Second Question: Does patchburn list it as supported by the driver?

If the answer is "no" to both of those questions, then you are SOL for the most part. You will need an actual driver for the drive that you are using. I am sorry if this is too blunt, but you don't give much of an indication one way or the other in your post.

If you are experienced with other UNIX-like OS's you could try to use cdparanoia from the command line (it is a free program, google for it). It tends to support most generic drives, assuming Apple has a generic CD-R driver in the kernel.

Give us some more details, and maybe we can help.

Jim

3. bleek thread starter macrumors newbie

i dont know much about computers but i have a CD-R drive and a DVD drive. Patchburn is SUPPOSEDLY made specifically for iTunes but when i look under the iTunes preferences for burner software it says F:SAMSUNG COMBO SM-304B.

4. jim. macrumors 6502

Hmm...not really what I was asking, but by using your type of CD-R drive, I took a look at patchburn's website. I got this from the FAQ:

It looks like you are stuck with this Samsung problem, and won't be able to burn cds from iTunes until it is resolved. Sorry. One thing you can look into is maybe getting a Pioneer DVD-R/CD-R drive. Those are Apple-supported, I believe, and should work nearly flawlessly. If you search the forums, I do believe that there have been product suggestions for burners that work well with Macs.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful with the problem.

Jim

5. bleek thread starter macrumors newbie

6. bleek thread starter macrumors newbie

ok the disc burner or software not found error is gone! altho now it wont get past Checking media lol. any ideas on that?