Disc Burning, when Book Burning isn't enough.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MorphingDragon, Jan 5, 2013.

1. macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/01/03/connecticut-town-plans-to-collect-and-destroy-violent-games/

There's really not much to say in response to this. A town about 30 miles outside of Newtown has decided that the best tribute to the memories of mass murdering is to hold a mass destruction of video games, CDs, and DVDs with violent content. Their reasons?

So long as you ignore all of the 'ample evidence' that has proved the exact opposite.

2. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Excerpts from the Southington Citizen ...

So according to this article, it's not a disc burning. It's more like a disc buy-back program. Perhaps inspired by gun buy-back programs.

I don't see anything wrong with a violent computer game buy-back program.

3. thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Not only is it perpetuating a lie, they sure as hell not going to dispose of all the plastic economically.

4. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Perpetuating what lie?

But it is touching to know you care about plastic so deeply.

5. thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That violent media causes the massacres we're having. It's like the Batman controversy all over again except people are being rewarded into believing the scapegoat.

6. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

They don't say it "causes".

They say it "contributes".

7. Happybunny, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2013

macrumors 68000

Happybunny

I got this in an e-mail yesterday from CBLDF.

This is just the last in a long line of misguided actions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adam's_Song
    http://www.nytimes.com/1990/07/17/a...al-band-as-having-driven-sons-to-suicide.html
    http://godhatesgoths.com/mansonlunatic.html

It won't stop the violence in American society IMHO.:(

8. MorphingDragon, Jan 6, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2013

thread starter macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

That's p-ussy footing and you know it. If thought it simply "contributed" to the violence then why are they going to all of this effort? If all they want to encourage parents to have a sensible talk with their kids about their hobbies surely there are more effective ways than to create divisive media drama.

Do you know what will lessen these massacres? Not this! All this will do is get families as part of the family fun time brigade to bring in their children's games.

9. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Your own source says that's not the goal. The goal is not to end violence, it's to start a conversation.

It inspired this thread at least.

Mission accomplished.

----------

Sometimes people feel the need to do something ... to make an effort despite the odds that it won't really change anything.

I don't really need to explain that, do I?

10. macrumors 6502

As does the lack of parenting.

You don't see them burning parents, do you?

11. macrumors regular

man...

i'm a gamer, but let them have this one... its not a big deal.

Besides, i grew up with plenty of kids who probably would have benefited from playing bejeweled rather than postal 2...

who do you think is going to do the turning in? kids who like their violent video games, or the parents who are actually doing some damn parenting for once? derp...

12. macrumors G4

skunk

Perhaps that would help.

13. macrumors 65816

America where we blame violent behavior on fantasy video games and movies, but not the real 2-3 wars we are currently involved in, the cheering of the death penalty, torture, and the furious bliss at the killing of terrorists.

I do wonder how American kids get the idea that we're fascinated with killing and we have little true love for human life :rolleyes:.

14. macrumors 6502

They still put the blame on [violent] movies and video games first. Their lack of educating their children is what causes that blur of reality and disrespect for others' lives in the first place.

I'm the last person to want to have a child but if I had one I would sit them down and have a serious talk about these things. I may not be able to shield them or forbid them any contact to these outlets, but I'd think I had control on how they translate it all in the real world.

15. macrumors regular

Finally we can agree on something...:)

----------

You neglected to mention the murder of the unborn....:rolleyes:

16. macrumors G5

yg17

Every other modern country has access to the same violent media we do, but doesn't have all of the mass murders that we do. Violent media's not the problem.

17. macrumors 65816

Sorry I don't consider fetus or a chicken egg to be a sufficiently developed life forms to have any capacity for suffering. Actual evidence on poorly development of neurological systems supports this viewpoint. Evidence as opposed to theological fanaticism.

18. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

Let's inject a little science into the discussion.

Excerpts from the American Psychological Association, Psychological Science Agenda | October 2003 ...

As usual, more studies will help. And I look forward to seeing more results.

However, it's clear from this article that those claiming violent media has no effect on people need to take another look at the evidence.

19. macrumors Core

MacNut

You can do a study on anything and spin it any way you want. I want to see less studies and more action.

20. macrumors G5

yg17

And those claiming that violent media has an effect on people need to take a look at every other country that get the same movies and video games we do.

21. macrumors G4

skunk

If you don't do the studies, how will you know what action to take?

22. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I imagine they'd say they see the same (or similar) effect of how violent media effects behavior.

I doubt Europeans are immune to it.

23. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

There are ways to kill a grown adult that do not cause suffering. I assume you are A-OK with that too?

24. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I am.

I totally support doctor-assisted suicide.

25. macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Exactly. This is a huge multi-headed-beast of a problem. Not the least of which is easy access to guns and extreme violent media (has anyone ever noticed that these games play a lot like a mass shooting?).

There's also the poor state of our Marion's mental health infrastructure, the fact that we as a society view mental illness as some sort of weakness or character flaw rather than a legitimate medical problem beyond the patient's ability to control.

There's also the fact that we have a whole generation of kids growing up basically fatherless.

And that's probably just the tip of the iceberg.

Also, I've lived in Europe, and I know that where I was, even though they had access to the same games/movies/music that we do here, most kids didn't own a game console. I don't think the consumption of violent media is anywhere near as widespread as it is in the states. If anyone has any evidence to the contrary I'm all ears though.