Disc golf anyone?

Discussion in 'Community' started by iSaint, Jun 22, 2005.

1. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

Any disc golfers out there? I've been getting back into it as of late. We have several courses here throughout Mississippi: http://home.tsixroads.com/~chickasawdiscgolf/

I do about half pars, half bogies most times I play. It's just a relaxing outdoor sport for me.

I was first introduced at our church camp ( www.graycenter.com ) where we used to just throw at trees with a stripe painted around it!!! We've managed to get real tees up in the past few years however. Lots of water on the course, too.

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I play the DeLaveaga course in Santa Cruz whenever I can. 27 holes of gorgeous mountain scenery. And hard too! I'll par maybe 1/3 of the holes on a good day. Plus there's a good chance you'll lose a disc along the way. But still a great (and free) way to spend an afternoon.

3. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i checked out the link but it didn't have anything as basic as what i'm about to ask....

"what is disc golf?"

:)

4. apple2991 macrumors 6502

There are 2 courses of 18 in my town of Gainesville, Florida. I play, if not everyday, 6 or 7 times a week. Lots of fun, and as mactastic said, a great way to spend a day outdoors, getting mild exercise, and of course free.

It's fun to see some people who are actually professionals on the course. I am nowhere near the caliber of some of them (I play bogie and par), but being out there everyday you see some familiar faces, get pointers on your game, share a beer etc.

5. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I haven't played it in 10 years or so on a course. As an ultimate player, I've played "The first hole is that tree over there, par 3" type stuff with an ultimate disc.

I just found out recently that there is an 18 hole course on the other side of town, so I'm going to have to dig up my old golf disc and try to find someone else who'd be interested in playing...

D

6. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

We have two decent 18-hole courses within 40 minutes of my house. I used to play a lot, like every Wednesday night and both days on the weekends, from May through October. Haven't been out in a couple of years, ever since my son was born. Now that he's about old enough to walk the course with me, I'll probably start up again soon.

7. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

It's golf played with frisbees. You usually carry a 'driver' or long range disc, plus a 'putter' for more short range shots (although at times I carried a dozen different discs in my bag). The goal is to toss the frisbee into a bucket of some kind in the fewest number of shots. You start on a 'tee' and head for the bucket. It's a great sport, very informal and with a MUCH lower cost than ball golf. There was usually enough room in my disc bag for a cold six-pack. :p

8. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I just used a small cooler and crammed a few discs in with my beer. :D

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

10. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Being a leftie, that looks like a great hole for me.

11. Nanda Devi macrumors regular

I had a boyfriend about 9 years ago who was obsessed with disc golf. It's all he ever wanted to do and he always dragged me along when he went to tournaments and everything. He even had one of those baskets in the back yard to practice "putting".

Still, although I have some bad associations with disc golf because of this guy (who was a jerk, by the way), I do enjoy it although I haven't played for a few years. It's a great beer-drinking and socializing sport. Very laid back. It's also DAMN hard, and I'm absolutely terrible at it! I just like walking around outside and meeting other players, who are always cool people.

There's also some very nice courses in Michigan...

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Check out the view from the tee on #12 there. I lost many a disc on that hole. The ravine below is full of poison oak so if you misfire you can kiss that disc goodbye.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

ahh, so you have difference discs for different distances, interesting.

where would one find these discs?

and all the courses let you on for free? or what?

powermac-where are those two courses? i live near enough that i may look into them.

14. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Link'd
    Although if you have a Play It Again Sports you can often find them used. There is a cottage industry on used discs with people with immunity to poison oak going into the 'rough' and scavenging otherwise perfectly good discs.

Don't know about all, but the one's I've been on have been free.

15. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

There is a course next to the Baltimore Zoo in Druid Hilll Park. Free, of course, and a nice mix of shorter and longer holes. A fairly easy, wide open course.
    There is a tougher course connected to Pine Grove Middle School, located off of Old Harford Road in NE Baltimore (Carney). Tighter, more woods to contend with. Also free.
    There is also a course in College Park somewhere, though I've never played it.
    And one in Patapso State Park (near Ellicot City?).

The local Sports Authority and Dick's both sell discs by Innova, a fairly popular brand. I think they sell a three pack (driver, approach, putter) for about $20-25.