Disc Golf?

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Oct 15, 2004.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Anyone here besides me ever play disc (Frisbee) golf?
    I didn't get out much at all this year, what with the kid and all, but it is my favorite non-technology related recreational activity.

Not unlike Mac vs Windows, disk golf has a small share (that's putting it mildly :rolleyes: ) of the overall golfing market, but is fervently supported by those who prefer it.

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I've played before, even have a disc somewhere, but now I prefer Ultimate, much more intense and a great team sport. Keeps you in shape as well :D

D

3. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Ultimate is definitely a much more demanding sport. Have you ever played Guts? Great to hone those reaction times and develop good calluses (and bruises).

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Guts? not sure, hot box, flutter, yes

Occasionally if we are drinking or relaxing we'll take our Ultimate discs and play a modified version of golf... go to a field and choose trees/trashcans/etc as holes and try and hit them.

Good for practicing your aim.

D

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

My fraternity has been playing a modified game of guts for almost 30 years (or so legend has it). It involves a lot of people and a lot of beer. It's played every Saturday at 1PM. Rain or shine or snow (it does snow occationally) or hot or cold. I haven't played in almost 5 years, but put in my time in the 90's.

6. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Sounds like hot box may be similar to guts, though I've never heard it called that. Two teams of two face each other, each team occupying a box about 20' square, with a gap between of about 8'. Two disks go back and forth, can't be occupied by the same team at any time. First drop or errant throw is a point.

Yes, the nice thing about golf is that you can make a course almost anywhere.

I find the people who play golf to be very nice generally, and always eager to help a nOOb get acclimated to the sport. Kind of like Mac people.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, never played guts...

Hotbox is a lot like ultimate, but the endzone is an 8x8 box that you have to catch a disc in to score a point. Make-it-take-it rule applies and you set up a distance from the goal that you have to clear before coming back in to try and score. Also use that clearing distance on a turnover.

Played with 4 or more players, but once you get more than 8, its best to play ultimate if you have the room.

We've played in all weather, actually, played ultimate in all weather as well. But one day a couple years ago in the summer a hurricane came through DC and we had 6 of us out there in 40+ mph winds (DC just got brushed by the hurricane), torrential downpour playing hotbox :D

Oh, and its usually full contact hotbox - if you're in the box you can push and pull on people, no real fouls. Only thing is you can't be outside the box and run in a full speed, that's not good. So its sometimes a bit of a wrestling match in the box. I've actually picked some players up over the shoulder and carried them out of the box to make a play happen. ;)

D

8. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Yes, I play everyday at my local course, it's a nine hole. We have 2 18 hole courses in the county as well, one 20 miles north of where I live, and one 40 miles south, I have yet to play those though, maybe this weekend. :D

I just has been getting into it, I have several discs in my collection, as well as a disc golf bag.

My Discs:
    1. Innova Champion Orc 177g
    2. Innova Champion Aviar 175g
    3. Innova Valkyrie DX 155g
    4. Innova Shark DX 177g
    5. Innova Birdie DX 170g

I love indvidual sports like these, becuase all the pressure of doing well rests only on my shoulders, and you can play by yourself whenever you want.

9. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

It's funny to go to a course and see some guy selling "plastic" out of his trunk. Seems illegal, or at least subversive.

I also like that success or failure is up to me alone. You have to keep your head in the game if you want to do well. And best of all, it's FREE. At least, after you spend $20 on three disks. I haven't run across a course yet where they charge to play a round.
    I have never tried "real" golf, other than a driving range. I'm sure I would like it, but it is an expensive hobby. I'd rather play disk golf and save my spare money for gadgets and Mac stuff.

10. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    disc golf/ultimate frisbee

Hey! Disc golf is a great game, even if you aren't near an "official" course with all the disc pole holes and all. We play winner calls the next hole in local parks. There are a couple of courses in Jersey, but none are close, so we make it up as we go along.

As for Ultimate Frisbee - I had the luck (honor? privilege?) to teach at the high school where Ultimate was invented (Columbia High School in Maplewood, NJ). For those interested in the trivia, it was invented in '68 by opposing teams from the yearbook and literary magazine staffs - kind of an anti-jock hippie sport guided by the most important rule: the spirit of the game (no refs, work out disagreements, make your own calls for boundary violations, etc.). I played in the 20th anniversary tourney in 1988 - lots of old timers with some serious history behind them.

The game was invented and exclusively played (at first) in the student parking lot at the HS, complete with active train tracks on one side and a scary embankment to a babbling brook on the other. In '88, a Frisbee shaped plaque was erected on the site, honoring the sport and its' inventors, among them Buzzy Hellring (tragically killed commuting to Princeton after HS graduation) and Joel Silver (yes, that Joel Silver, the producer of all the Die Hard and Lethal Weapon movies and more).

Another late '60s player is John Hadley, the dad of a current student at my current school. He is hard at work on a book - to be published next spring - about the game, national tourney scores, etc. It seems like a pretty cool project - I'll post a website (if I can find it) if anyone is interested.

OK, history lesson over. Have a great day! Huck that disc!

MFK

11. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

we have an 18 hole course that winds through the redwood forrest, about a five minute walk from my dorm. i havent gotten the chance to play it yet but should be doing that sometime this week, if i can find someone who wants to play with me and loan me a disc.

12. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

I'll wager that if you just show up, there will be someone there who is willing to lend you a disc or two, play along with you, and point out the few rules. Get out and enjoy!

13. dPratt macrumors member

I used to play disc golf almost every weekday with some guys from work. I haven't played in a while though because 1) the company went out of business and 2) the course got a little dangerous. Another guy who used to be out there fairly often was waiting in his car for his friends to show up when some guy (apparently meaning to rob him) shot at the guys car (hit the windshield) as he was backing away from the guy :mad: I do miss it though, it was a great way to relax. Not only is it not convient to play anymore, but at some point during moving twice in the last year my discs have gone missing.

14. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Let me guess, you live in Santa Cruz?